Open Directory User home folder issues

jads

Registered
I have recently set up a server in our small office which I wanted to use for network user accounts. OS X Server 10.6.4.

DNS, AFP is up and running, as is OD and set to OD master. I've created a few user accounts in WGM and confirmed that home folders were created. The Server is not a DHCP Server and has a FQDN.

I have a folder that has been set to automount for home folders in Server Admin.

I have bound a machine to the server and it sees the list of user accounts, but when trying to log in, I get the 'cannot log in at this time' error.

I have found that if I set the permissions on the sharepoint for 'everyone' to be 'read/write' - then users can log in, but can see each other's user accounts.

Could anyone advise if I have done anything incorrectly? I guess it's a permissions issue, anyone recommend the best way to resolve this?

This can be a particularly frustrating issue since the message may result from any number of underlying problems including network saturation, user level permissions, kerberos database corruption or even date/time settings.

Unfortunately resolving issues like this remotely can require quite a bit of information. Can you describe what you've done in more detail, for example if you have ever been able to log in to a machine bound to your directory server?

Also just to say, the client machines don't really have to be bound to the directory server to authenticate users, but only have a directory server available to use— which is technically not binding.

- Forest Mars

Back