Open powerbook lid without wake?

rationull

Registered
I've read threads about forcing your powerbook to keep running when you close its lid, but I'm interesting in trying to make my 'book not wake up when I open the screen.

Does anyone know of any ways to do this?

Just open up Terminal write this, and hit return:

sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

That's the number zero on the end, not the letter 'O'.

After you hit return you just type your usual login password (sudo needs that) and hit return again and you are almost done. Now type 'exit' (whithout the quotes), hit return again and quit the Terminal.

Try putting the PB to sleep by closing the lid, wait a few moments and then open the lid again. If it wakes up immediately, restart your computer and try again. It should work.

I am wondering why you need to do that? Aren't you opening your lid only when you want to work on your book?

Sometimes the lid can open when it isn't supposed to, if the latch is worn or damaged. This setting prevents the PowerBook from waking up on those occasions.

My latch isn't damaged yet such that it opens when it's not supposed to. The reason I wanted to do this actually was that when I take my powerbook places I like to put in one of the radtech screensaverz sheets to protect the screen, but I usually don't put it in when the computer's sitting on my desk at home. So I thought it'd be nice to be able to put it in without needlessly powering up the machine.

Thanks for the info!

Plug in or out a USB device, that'll wake the PowerBook even when the lid is closed. If you attach a mouse or a keyboard, clicking or pressing a key will also wake it.

If you want to block it from going to sleep at all, you can try putting aluminum foil over the latch, to block the magnet that triggers the sleep. You can also try utilities like NoSleep or Sleepless (do a search on versiontracker.com for those).

Beware though, PowerBooks rely on an open lid to ventilate the CPU properly, and the LCD screen ages much faster if it is subjected to heat, i.e. it'll not last as long if you use your PB a lot with the lid closed.

We've had a lot of threads on this in these forums, do a search on "PowerBook lid closed not sleep" and you'll find some.

Back