"Open With" Issues..

GrBear

Registered
Ever since I installed Tiger I've been having oddities with the "Open With" contextual menu option.. specifically, some of the programs that show up are listed twice!

When I upgraded to Tiger, I installed it to a new partition. Once installed, I copied over my primary apps from the /Applications folder of the 10.3.9 partition over to the Tiger /Applications folder. It appears any app that I copied over to the active OS partition are the ones that show up twice in "Open With".

Bear in mind that I've long since deleted that old partition, so those old apps shouldn't be affecting Tiger anymore. It's almost as if whatever db Tiger uses to know which apps open which programs is remembering that I had two copies of the app visible to the OS at one time.

It's most unusual!

Attached is a grab of that I'm talking about.

edit: I should note, I had performed a complete search of all my partitions and there is infact only one copy of each program on my hard drives, so that rules out any other copies being picked up by Tiger. I've also had Spotlight reindex all my drives just to be sure it wasn't responsible for the problem.

Attachments

• openwithbug.jpg
    openwithbug.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 14
Hm. In the olde days of OS 9 and earlier, I'd have said you should let the Finder rebuild its database. But I don't exactly know _which_ db you should delete here... Just a lil' troubleshooting: If you create a test user account on that machine, does it _also_ see the ghost applications?

You may want to perform an OS X-style "desktop rebuild". I've never done it myself, but there are some db files in your home preferences folder that can be safely deleted, and will be rebuilt upon the next login (I have no idea how long this takes or how it will affect performance while it happens). For more info, see http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/08-2002/08-14.ws

Nice one - ta.
I also note that if you wanted to make (say) Acrobat the default for .pdf from (say) Preview, OS X also counts the creator type in it's MIME lookup - consequently, changing the default app for a file that is already showing an Acrobat icon will NOT change the file association with Preview!! I got caught out on that one and ended up deleting Preview instead (embarrassing really - but I don't care :D ).

Back