Opening AppleWorks files in OS X

schrjam

Registered
Running Slot Drive iMacs with 324 MB Ram OS 10.3.9 - When we access our folders from the server (OS 9.2.2 with AppleShare 6.3.3) and try to open an AppleWorks document, AppleWorks freezes. We need to force quit in order to proceed. If we open AppleWorks first, then file to "Open" to access the files, all is well.

When I clear the "Recent Items" folder I can open 1 document from the server. The second time I try to open a document from the server, AppleWorks freezes and we again need to Force Quit.

Is there any way to not allow "Recent Items"? I have told the computer "None" to Recent Items in the Appearance section of the System Folder, but items are still being stored in the Recent Items folder in the Documents folder.

Thanks for your help with this.

Jim S.

Have you tried copying the file locally to the hard drive just to test? If it doesn't lock up with the locally resident file, then you know it's network related. It's possible that you're timing out on your AppleTalk connection.

Since AppleWorks predates OS X, it does not use OS X's standard "recent items" setting. In AppleWorks, go to AppleWorks > Preferences > General > Files, and disable the recent items list from there.

I hope that helps.

Back