Opening docs with OS 9 apps automatically

igirl

Registered
in the pre-OS X days, one could count on being able to open a Microsoft Word doc from a Mac (or a PC for that matter) just by clicking on it.

Now however, my new iMac G5 with OS X 10.4.5, it automatically wants to open in "Microsoft Office 2004, Trial Edition", which is horrible.

I already have Microsoft Office 98, which works fine in Classic and OS 9 and do not wish to ever buy another copy.

I know in OS X one can go to - Get Info/Open With/Use this app to open all docs like this/Change All

But - it doesn't WORK for going back to apps running in Classic!
Any changes you put in will be ignored.

This seems to be the case for ALL of my historical files and documents running in Classic - Office, Photoshop, Quark on and on... One must always first open the application, then open the individual file from within the app. Am I missing something here? :confused:

No. Only that Classic is merely a helpful environment for slowly making the transition to OS X. That transition has long been done, and certain inconveniences with the "helper" Classic must be accepted.

I didn't have stuffit on OS X, and it automatically opened stuffit from OS 9 (strange, but true). You could try removing the trial version of office, then it might have to search for another version, i.e. OS 9 version.

Thanks Eric! Silly me I never even thought of that, but did just trash the MS Office Trial Version and restarted...once I did that, all Office 98 docs appeared with their vintage '98 icons and when clicked on they automatically start up Classic and their respective apps!

Brilliant! Exactly what I needed! :)

Back