Opening Real Audio stream resets DSL

ralmond25

Registered
I'm getting a really weird problem with RealPlayer causing my DSL/Modem router to reset. It happens 40--60% of the time when I launch a new Real Audio Stream (using Firefox to connect to RealPlayer 12.0.0). If I successfully launch the stream, I generally have no further problems. My phone company does not see anything in my logs when the drop occurs, and I don't see any message in either the console log or the router/modem logs.

I'm running Real Player 12.0.0 under Mac OS 10.5.8. The DSL modem/router is a Westell unit.

At this point I'd be happy to know that somebody else is having the same problem.

Is it possible that your problems with your DSL line disconnecting and the fact that you're trying to view (ancient) RealPlayer streams are simple coincidence, and unrelated?

Has your DSL line ever disconnected while not trying to listen to a RealPlayer stream?

I've had the phone company out several times looking for line noise issues. Opening the real audio stream triggers the problem something like 50% of the time (e.g., I crash the connection and need to reset 0, 1 or 2 times before I get the stream to function properly).

The real player has an option to use only HTTP and not raw TCP or UDP. I've checked that and its seemed better behaved although I've only tested it twice so far. I'm now suspecting that something about the TCP or UDP packets are causing the Westell modem/router to crash.

I'm using Real Audio because that is what the upstream provider offers, and the ancient version because Real has not updated their Mac version. Is there a better tool that will play real audio streams (like VLC) that I can use instead of Real Player?

Back