Opening Windows NT folder crashes Finder

MDLarson

Registered
I'm on a LAN at work, G3 B&W 400 running 10.1.3. We have a Windows NT server that shares out a volume for our Macs and PCs. Whenever I try to open a particular window, my Finder crashes and reboots (you can see the Mac logo bouncing in the dock like a regular app).

The folder is full of older ClarisCAD documents, as well as some Vellum, PageMaker, SolidWorks and other files. I believe the culprit is somehow the ClarisCAD file, because another folder that crashes the finder only has one ClarisCAD file. If I copy the entire folder to my local machine, it opens fine. It crashes only when I open the folder across the network on the NT box.

Does Mac OS X somehow get goofed up with certain types of files? I'm at a loss. :mad:

Attachments

• window.gif
    window.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 8
MD,
This is a known problem, one that I have never encountered on our NT 4(sp5)/Win 2k LAN, but many others have suffered from it. We abandoned SFM(services for Macintosh) from M$, as it never worked well. We use MacServerIP v7 from Cyan.de on Win2k server with 9.x and 10.1.x clients without problem.
See macwindows.com, there is a lot of info there about NT server problems and integration into PCs.

I suppose it's useless to try to get a fix from Microsoft…

I hate having to spend money just because something doesn't work as it should. MacServerIP looks good though.

If you are running OSX, just use Samba or Apache...

I have heard of this happening with Windows2000Server.
I have not yet seen it myself...

I was able to logon to my NT shared volume via the SMB / CIFS protocol. I had to get our PC guy to setup a new shared name without spaces (macsharefolder). Now I can at least logon.

OK, now the window opens, but all files show a generic icon and when I try to open an EPS file which I know belongs to Illustrator 8, it starts to open Illustrator, then gives me a password prompt :confused: :confused: (see attachment). No matter what I enter in, the file does not open.

When I enter nothing in the password box and hit OK, it just moves to the Finder and Illustrator remains open, but in the background (it doesn't quit or crash). When I enter the correct password in this same dialog box and hit OK, the same symptoms occur but another volume appears on the desktop in this fashion (one for each time I hit OK with the password):

macsharefolder (this is the one that opens up with the initial SMB://…)
MACSHAREFOLDER-1
MACSHAREFOLDER-2
MACSHAREFOLDER-3

After all of this, I have not found a working solution to opening these files short of copying the entire folder to my local drive or booting up in Mac OS 9. I haven't tried Apache at all. I have no clue what to do with that.

Okay,

I know you said you tried everything,

and you get the logon
DOMAIN
USER
Password

you put your NTdomain Name (case sensitive)
userID
Password?

did you try leaving the Domain blank
and using
DOMAIN\userID
password

Can the IT guy set it up for guest/anonymous?
I am certain you are behind a Firewall of some sort.

have you tried to mount it from the command line.
mkdir /Volumes/smbshares/mount01
then
mount -t smbfs -o username=UID,password=pwd //host/share /Volumes/smbshares/mount01

or

login //user@host[/share] login to the specified host
logout //user@host[/share] logout from the specified host

or even
mount_smbfs

sorry if i confused you... prolly too much information without a definative answer...

Roseville, MN, eh? I graduated from the U, and lived in Lauderdale...
thinkin about movin back

anyway, hope i helped more than hindered

Originally posted by rliebsch
Roseville, MN, eh? I graduated from the U, and lived in Lauderdale...
thinkin about movin back
LOL, I used to live in Lauderdale too! 6 months in a little apartment off Eustice and Larpenteur.

I'll have to try your suggestions when I get into work. What's with the second authentication when I try to open a file though? I already entered a password in once.

Back