Opera 6.0 is coming for OS-X

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
Opera 6.0 is in beta for "beta testers".

Now with tabs.

See screenshot below.

Attachments

• opera6.jpg
    opera6.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 114
Looks interesting. Took them awhile so I hope the finished product is pretty polished both in usability and web standards compliance.

I have two main hopes:
1) Fast (like Chimera...)
2) Full Java support (Like Explorer under Classic)

For my own, I still find it ugly and I still dislike the eBay-like features…

I prefer the browser you were using to take this snap :).

On my opinion, there is only one "nice looking" Mac OSX browser: OmniWeb. But its technology is now too old and slow.

My two main browsers are Chimera for its speed (Speed Lightning) and Explorer for regular work. I switch to Explorer Classic for some specific jobs with Java, or to Netscape 7 but more rarely, or Opera Beta 4 for pages that I want with/without image, as I can switch in the tools bar.

Opera with tabs? Hooray, it's now on my list of useable browsers...Chimera 'n Mozilla got compatiton now

It appears that they've made it to use themes, or "Skins" as they call them that look like Moz's. In the picture at that link, it looks like Opera is using the Moz Orbital theme. Very interesting.

It's gonna have to be way better than their last OS X beta for me to give it a try. Between Chimera's pure speed, and Mozilla's overall handiness, I'm not even using OmniWeb much any more.
BTW, anybody tried mouse gestures in Mozilla yet? Love 'em! :D

Is there any way to change the dock icon for mozilla...I really don't like the "M"?

...oh, and genghiscohen what is mouse gestures in moz?

I guess mouse guestures are like in Opera - you can hold down right while moving your mouse in certain patterns and you perform an action. In opera you can also hold left while rightclicking for going forward and vice versa for backward (in the windows version at least). Very nice tools!

Regarding skins, yes, Opera supports skins, check out My Opera for more of them. The skin applied is from a Windows theme, showing that you no longer need separate themes for Mac (as you did with the R5 betas.

Also, the speed of this Opera beta is at least as good as Chimera 0.5, if not better (windows resizing is lightening fast, because Opera does not show window content while resizeing), and the full screen mode is beautiful.

Look out for a public beta any day now...!

It's easy to change the Mozilla dock icon. You just copy & paste a new icon into the Get Info window to change Moz's icon, and then drag it to the dock. I use a red T. Rex head for Mozilla on my machine.
:cool:

Back