Opinion please guys

Paul C

Registered
Hi guys,

I've just sold my Macbook, which was a 2ghz Intel Core Duo, 2gb RAM, 200gb HDD, etc and now want a desktop, I don't know if I should go for a new mac mini or I should get a Powermac G5 dual 1.8?

Basically I'll be using it for dvd editing, encoding, burning, internet browsing and general normal stuff, I wanna get the Powermac but wondered which one you guys think I should go for, it will be for bedroom and living room use so the Powermac might be too loud but I like the idea of upgrading the Powermac over time where the Mac Mini isn't really that easy to upgrade.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

I think you mean the Mac Pro instead of the PowerMac G5? The G5 isn't made any more, and upgrades are going to be getting scarce.

I think he might have meant purchasing a used PMG5. I woudln't recommend a G5 at this point in time, what with Snow Leopard coming down the pike soon. Maybe a 1st gen Mac Pro. However, if you are considering a Mac mini, why not just opt for the Intel-based iMacs? Even a first-generation Core 2 Duo iMac would be sufficient and affordable, and you should be able to upgrade the RAM and hard drive on it without a problem.

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah I was looking at a used Powermac G5 off eBay for about £500 but I'm going to get a new 2ghz mac mini from the Apple store today, I agree that an iMac would have been an option as their really nice but I want a mac to hook upto to my HDTV thus me going for the mac mini, I'm a bit gutted that the biggest HDD Apple do as optional upgrade is a 160gb though because if I put one in myself it will void my warranty :(

Do be aware that the Mac mini uses the very old Intel GMA 950 graphics chipset, so I don't know how much longevity you'll get out of it in that regard. Of course, the other unfortunate thing is that the Mac Pro is still commanding a high price tag, even used.

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-pro-prices.html

If you can hold out a little longer, you might want to wait until Apple updates the Mac mini (hopefully they do soon) since the rumors say that it might include a better graphics chipset this time around.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I went for a 2ghz Core 2 Duo with 2gb RAM in the end, I'll save up over the next 18 months and get a monster machine but for the moment the mini does the job as I'm gonna use it as a media server and get a 1TB+ storage device (cos the standard HDD are SMALL), it's converted video, etc really well so all is look fine at the moment.

Thanks again

Paul :)

Back