oplock and strict locking

wellie2005

Registered
Hi everybody,

Does anyone have experience with SAMBA and OSX Tiger?

problem:

when I share a folder only for SMB Windows, we'll get a corrupt file when we open it in f.e MS Word or Excel :mad: and try to save it. We can save it as a copy and copy files to the share from the desktop. So called permissions are chmod 777 and all users are in the group.

I read on the internet about oplock and strict locking, changed it in the smb.conf but no result.

The files are generated on a WINXP (excuse me) and changed on a MS2000 server.

Any thoughts about it?

Cheers,

:D

Welmoed Davidson

It's a known issue that you can't use optlock on smb shares that are also shared over afp, even though Tiger is supposed to support unified locking.

wellie2005 said:
Hi everybody,

Does anyone have experience with SAMBA and OSX Tiger?

problem:

when I share a folder only for SMB Windows, we'll get a corrupt file when we open it in f.e MS Word or Excel :mad: and try to save it. We can save it as a copy and copy files to the share from the desktop. So called permissions are chmod 777 and all users are in the group.

I read on the internet about oplock and strict locking, changed it in the smb.conf but no result.

The files are generated on a WINXP (excuse me) and changed on a MS2000 server.

Any thoughts about it?

Cheers,

:D

Welmoed Davidson

So, is your real issue here that WinXP clients are having troubles with permissions from an OS X SMB server?

Does this only happen when a WinXP user attempts to save directly to the server, as an overwrite function? For example, doing a save as to a different name works fine, but if they did a simple Save or Save As to the same file name (causing an overwrite), you see your 'oddity'?

Hello there,

The problem to save a file on the WINXP machine is no problem.
When I open the saved file on the WIN2000 server and try to save (or save as the same name) the file I'll get a corrupted file. Save as another filename is no problem.

This share is only used for Windows.

This machine is also logged out for strange reasons, while there's no time out in the OSX server admin.

I think I've to re-check the WIN2000 server.

Any ideas?

:rolleyes:

Old thread, just wanted to mention something in case someone stumbles onto this thread like I did.

Oplocks have **nothing** to do with file locking. They're just really unfortunately named. They have to do with the server letting the client know whether or not it is the only system that has the file open, and therefore the client can cache files.

CIFS/Windows locks are just called "locks". Oplocks are 100% unrelated.

Back