Optical Audio In/Out peripherals

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

Thinking of getting a G5, but was wondering what 3 piece speaker systems would take full advantage of the optical audio out port. And also, what could I use with the Optical Audio In port?

Thanks

No 3 piece system will take full advantage of the optical out, since the optical out port can do 5.1 (that's 6 speakers) output.

Oh, ok. But how is the sound quality on the G5, i used to have a pc with a high end sound card (cant remember its name Audigy maybe), but how does the G5 sound compare?

Actually, some 3-piece speaker packages do have optical in i believe. Just because optical is USUALLY used for 5.1, it isn't mandatory.

Well, yeah, of course some 3-piece systems can handle optical audio -- but since they're 3 pieces, they wouldn't take full advantage of it.

If macmastah wants to take full advantage of the optical capabilities, a 3 piece system won't cut it.

to take FULL advantage of it, most things "designed" for "computer audio" won't cut it. Now, a set of Focal Utopia $AU129000 speakers (that's per speaker-box. you'd want a couple) with a TRUE digital amp would take full advantage of it.. Anywho. You can go anything from 2 speaker systems to 7.1 systems in "computer/multimedia" audio.

Back