Optimizing is bad and fsck -y no longer works?

solrac

Mac Ninja
I used software update to get the new security update, airport update, and applescript update.

Downloading and installing were fine.

Optimizing .... well after an hour I forced the software update application to quit and rebooted my computer.

So question 1 is WHY DOES OPTIMIZING TAKE SO LONG??!! This is why I hate the Apple Installer. It always has to "Optimize" and it takes eleventy-billion times longer than installing files. 3rd party apps never do this "Optimize" junk heap.

So I rebooted and I went into single user mode, logged in as root, and tried fsck -y. It just gave me another prompt within 1 second.

I tried fsck -y in the Terminal app as well, same thing.

Is that normal? I remember doing it a long time ago and it output a bunch of crap and took like a few minutes. Now nothing?

Thanks for any help,
-Carlos-

profantity removed from subject by Moderator

solrac,

Just a reminder from your local moderator, that profanity, especially in the title, is not allowed.

If you have any questions for me about policy etc, feel free to PM or post them here.

Thanks ;)

I think there was something messed up w/ that Apple Script update that caused wierd problems. On both my brother's comp and my own, SW update crashed while going through the installation/optimizing process. I don't know exactly when since I was watching my brother play a game and then when I looked at my screen again, SW update had crashed. Then when I told it to check for updates again it took forever, and finally opened up the window w/o the new stuff I had suppossedly just added. So I really don't know whether it actually got installed or not. Earlier today I had to run NDD to repair the HD after some really wierd crashes and such occuring w/ my progs and games. All seems to be well now. I've heard mixed things up the Optimizing topic. It seems to help speed up launch times a little but also takes forever. Maybe Apple just wants to have it done because they feel the updates that they install are more important than 3rd party apps. Never though have I had SW update hang on the optimization step. I usually just let it sit there till it's done since I figure it best not to interrupt system level processes in X.

Sometimes, optimizing does seem to take awhile. Get a cup of coffee, watch some TV or anything to pass the time. Let it do its thing. Cancelling before it can finish can't be a good thing.

Originally posted by evildan
solrac,

Just a reminder from your local moderator, that profanity, especially in the title, is not allowed.

If you have any questions for me about policy etc, feel free to PM or post them here.

Thanks ;)

I did not realize I had profanity in my subject title.

In fact, I disagree. That word is not profanity. If there was an official unabridged dictionary of profanity, that word should not be included in it.

Click below to see the word.

*WARNING*!! DO NOT CLICK IF YOU WILL BE OFFENDED OR FEEL HURT!!!! **WARNING*

click here

solrac - you can use the word, we have just deiced that anything that borders on profane is not appropriate for thread titles. please try to think a little bit about context - like the fact that this is a technically oriented forum site, not a rant and flame site. ask for the help you need. no reason to be overly dramatic about it.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
solrac - you can use the word, we have just deiced that anything that borders on profane is not appropriate for thread titles. please try to think a little bit about context - like the fact that this is a technically oriented forum site, not a rant and flame site. ask for the help you need. no reason to be overly dramatic about it.

that's cool. But we know we are all drama queens about our Macs.

So don't tell me about being overly-dramatic, Ed.... especially when PC people come into the picture... it's worse than the Montagues vs. the Capulets!!!!

Originally posted by lethe
i m a 9.5 too, solrac.

*high five*

Hahah i have no idea what you're talking about. My score on hotornot.com is 9.4 by the way, if that's it... hahahah

I think this was in '99 at the LA Auto show
Everyone loves this picture. It got a 9.5 on hotornot.com

your bad word is on your website with all your pictures...

i guess your rating has dropped a little since 99. its tought getting old. don t i know it.

Originally posted by lethe

your bad word is on your website with all your pictures...

i guess your rating has dropped a little since 99. its tought getting old. don t i know it.

LOL those pictures got me laid with 5 hot girls off the Internet so far ;-)

But seriously... there's no link to my hot or not from there???

I'm 23 now... I'm like SUPER OLD :rolleyes:

WTF?? you got laid from your hotornot picture? how come that never happened to me? i feel gypped!

at 23 myself, and feeling a little over the hill as well....

if you want to get laid... just put up some good pictures of you... then email like 100 girls. Use match.com, hotornot.com, dreammates.com, whatever....

a few girls are sure to respond..... and go on a date!!!

It's easy!!! Beats the bars any day...

In fact, I disagree. That word is not profanity. If there was an official unabridged dictionary of profanity, that word should not be included in it.

solrac,

You may disagree, but that doesn't change the fact that this word shall not be used in subject title. (under current board policies). You can write "suck" in the body of your post, just not the title please.

Now on a completly different topic. Consider this your second "friendly" warning for "Off-Topic" posts. This is a technical forum not a dating service. Keep all your dating tip posts for Herve's Bar and Grill, they don't belong in this forum. Period. :rolleyes:

PS, the link to the "WORD" was a nice touch.

sorry. we were just having a conversation. sometimes when people converse, the conversation goes to a new place from where it started. that is part of the nature of conversation. i m sorry that we let this happen on your message board. conversations in this forum should not stray from the technical matters about which they started. next time i m having a conversation, and it starts to move, i will interrupt it and start it anew in the nontechnical forum.

my apologies, won t happen again!

Originally posted by evildan

Now on a completly different topic. Consider this your second "friendly" warning for "Off-Topic" posts. This is a technical forum not a dating service. Keep all your dating tip posts for Herve's Bar and Grill, they don't belong in this forum. Period.

Listen...
This post was about fsck -y not working, and I'm still hoping someone reads this and has an answer...

Just because lethe asked me about a 9.5 score doesn't ruin this thread. What am I supposed to say??? "Sorry, lethe, I can't talk to you about this, we can't talk about anything in this thread except my question. Arrgh! I fear it is too late! The mind-control orbs of death are already after us!! RUNN!!!!"

You gotta just chill out.

When you run the very fast fsck -y routine, what message do you get? Does it say "Disk _____ appears to be okay"? If not, then fsck has failed for some reason.
The earlier advice about using DiskWarrior is a good idea. Another option is reinstalling OS X.

Back