Option Key Always held down

troche

Registered
Well I made two incredibly dumb moves today:

First, I spilled juice on my Powerbook G4. Nothing happened, except the keys later became sticky (just the front row)

Then, I tried to remove the keys with a paperclip, and broke the option key's silicone piece. For some reason, the computer thinks the option key is being held down, and I had shut it down. Now, I can only get to the screen where I choose where to boot from, and I can't click anything, because the watch is ticking.

Is there any way to get the computer to not think I am holding down the option key?

I do see my system, but for some reason I can't click it. I can move the cursor, which is the ticking clock icon, but cant boot

However, when I tried holding T to get into Firewire Target Disk mode, it sent me to the regular boot screen.
Too bad I can't type my password (option key changes characters) to login.

I was planning on getting a new computer anyways, so if i could figure out a way to just get all my data off. I would just need to get to the desktop... but I can't login...

And I heard somewhere that plugging in a usb keyboard wouldn't disable the regular one.

And my actual silicone thing is broken... but I don't know if that's why the key is repeating..

If all you want to do is get the data off, you can close the lid and use an external keyboard. You may also need an external display. I'm not sure if this will completely disable the inner keyboard because I can't touch the built-in keyboard with the lid closed..

You can also buy a replacement for the entire keyboard.

I was hoping an external keyboard would work. I don't happen to have one handy and I am just about to go on a vacation so I guess I'll try one when I get back...

I doubt my ability to install a replacement keyboard, and I don't want to send it in to Apple because I have a feeling they will charge me a bunch.

Thanks for the help, though!

The "silicone thing's" job is to return the key to an un-pressed state. If you hold up the key manually & power on, is the problem still there?

If so, you can wedge it so you can continue to use your PBG4.
The boots are not replaceable and will require a keyboard replacement.(well unless you have a junker keyboard and can cut off a boot and glue it in place)

The problem with spills is how much liquid got past the keyboard. The later models of PBG4's were better at not allowing spills to get to the logic board. But that really depends on how much was spilled. Any manufacturer depot service are "funny" about spill repairs. You'll probably have a better service experience w/ a dealer.

Back