Oracle 9i and upwards

glenfarclas

Registered
Anybody know what happend to Oracle for MacOSX. It was there then it got pulled, I asked Oracle UK about it and they knew nothing. They refered me to the Us division, who don't bother to reply.

Is Oracle picking on Apple now? Oracle would be a big boost for MacOSX in corporate terms.

Anybody know whats up?

I shall try it, thanks for the pointers.

Did you try it out. I have used Oracle 7 & 8 under solaris and Linux. I use MySQl under MacOSX and have been very impressed, but for corporate considerations it might be just as well to develop the same databases under Oracle.

I was looking for a job at apple and saw this sr dba position ...

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebO.../7/wo/nBhqDgGjEqEp6UwrHJafbw/5.2.22.9.2.0.1.3

If you read it, the position saids you will be part of a team to bring oracle 10 to production for mac os x.

And if you're keeping up to date with things, oracle 10 is marketed as oracle 10 g, g stands for grid. There was a article stating the apple applied for a patent for the name xGrid .... what do you all think ?

I think apple and oracle will come out with xserves running G5(s) and configure them for grid computing and then of course, use oracle 10 g. Now, apple gains more enterprise market share.

Oracle 9i I got running under MacOSx without too many problems.

That done it felt like a try out and was not given a production qualitfication at that time. Not the usuall quality Mac install, but that was fine it was so good to see it there on the Applications supported. Oracle is the market leader and its a very positive line for Apple to take.

That said Oracle is a direct portal into corporate environments.

Interestingly given the possibility of xGrid (SUN have a product called GRIDware) wich implies clustering and scaleable solution. Buid that in to Xserve and its possible to put this machine into complelety non-Mac environments and serve UNIX and "choke" MicroSoft environments.

SUN's GRIDware provides a environment of using spare processing capacity on workstations (and servers) when you're asleep at home tucked up with a fine bottle of Nappa's finest ( I live in Scotland so its Lagavulin for me).

Hi, I'm Terry Norman. I'm new-ish to OSX and I would be grateful for any help you could give. I'm looking at the possibility of getting Oracle running on my 17 inch flat panel running Panther. I can get to the Oracle Corporation download site OK, but i'm not clear on what to do after that ;-) . The documentation seems to go on about Mac OSX servers and re-installing the OS :-o - surely not? My questions are, can I run on this box and operating system, i.e. not on the server version, and how do I install the stuff? Any assistance gratefully received. BTW in my day job I'm an Oracle DBA, on Solaris and HP-UX etc. but there we just fire up OUI (Oracle Universal Installer). TIA.

Would have to agree... Especially with the the new partnership between SUN and Microsoft. It may be possible that Microsoft "blinked" and they new something was up between Oracle and Apple. That would be crazy if next year Apple and Oracle merged and decided no more WIN products.. that would destroy MS. That is why they agreed to go ahead and pay out all that for Sun. Also the SUN MLB thing was a precursor before MS signed on... everyone knew this was coming since SUN doesn't have a media player and you knew MLB wasn't going to have JAVA running under everything they needed media player. I think we are going to have a MS/SUN APPLE/ORACLE war in the near future.

I grabbed a developer's copy of 9i about a month ago, but they have it requiring a g4 so I trashed it. As far as I remember it was still in beta stage then.

We decided to buy an old sun workstation to run as a server, so it'll be getting a copy of 10g soon. Just finished re-installing Solaris 9, not fun at all. Forgot how much of a pain in the you know what the traditional unix os distros are.

The Apple/Oracle thing would be nice, but I doubt Oracle would drop support or versions on any other platform. Their mainstay is still Linux, followed closely by Unix. Windows seems to be gaining ground recently, I see/hear of alot more installs of Oracle than in the past.

Apple would gain the most by far from such a thing, at least where the Xserves are concerned since the only other e-class DB that holds any ground is Sybase.

well it looks like Oracle 10G is just around the corner for OS X very cool. So, at least we know Jobs and Ellison are still talking to each other.

Back