Original iBook max Ram

macidiot

Registered
Hello, I am buying an original 300 Mhz iBook, and since it is old, I want to upgrade as much as possible. My question is this: How much ram can I put in the thing? I have checked 4 different places, and all four have different answers.

Apple says 288

Macinstein says 160 (may have to select it from the list)

MemoryX says 544

and, I can't remeber the fourth place, but I am confused. I would assume apple is right, but it's odd to see so many differing opinions

any insite insight would be appreciated. :D

How much ram can I put in the thing?

By the way you word the question, none of the answers you got is correct. Not 160, not 288, not 544. Maybe 128, 256, or 512. :) </smarta##)

I say you can add 256... plus the 32 that come with it... 288 max ram. If Apple says so...

Before you smart off; check the facts.

Keep in mind his question... how much ram can he PUT IN? He can PUT IN 256MB, according to Apple. There's 32MB already in the iBook. 256 + 32 = 288.

Or if you want to toy with the number 544, lets try that one... he can PUT IN 512, according to one of the sources he cited. Again, there's 32MB already installed. 512 + 32 = 544.

Can he PUT IN 160, 288, or 544? Would not be practical, if at all posible.

Back to the main issue...

I clicked the link djohnson provided. I downloaded MacTracker. According to MacTracker, the actual amount of ram you can ADD to the iBook is 512MB, even though Apple says it's 256MB.

If the machine originally shipped with 32MB... the max ram on that machine would be 544MB ("actual"), or 288MB (Apple). If it came with 64MB, the max ram would be 576MB ("actual") or 320MB (Apple).

I'd like to add another question to this post, since I was just going to make a post almost identical to it.

I have a 600 MHz iBook and when I bought it from wherever I got it from (forgot), they gave me 128 MB of free ram.

how many memory slots are in my computer? and do you think they just consolidated my 256 MB total ram into one, or they just added another 128?

I'm probably going to max out my iBook and go for the 640 MB total, but I don't know exactly how it's all set up right now.

how many memory slots are in my computer? and do you think they just consolidated my 256 MB total ram into one, or they just added another 128?

128MB is the "on board" ram (or motherboard ram). Can't mess with that one. They placed 128MB in the ram slot (there's only one for your computer).

If you want to max out the ram, you'd remove the 128mb they placed in the ram slot and insert a 512MB stick. 128MB onboard ram plus 512MB that you add, total is 640MB.

Originally posted by Dusky
By the way you word the question, none of the answers you got is correct. Not 160, not 288, not 544. Maybe 128, 256, or 512. :) </smarta##)

OK, OK, OK.... So How much RAM can I install in the machine, and still be able to use. For example, if I put in a 512 strip will I be able to use all 544 MB? or will X only see 288 MB? I know I can physically put in a 512 MB strip of ram, but will it work?:rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by Dusky
128MB is the "on board" ram (or motherboard ram). Can't mess with that one. They placed 128MB in the ram slot (there's only one for your computer).

If you want to max out the ram, you'd remove the 128mb they placed in the ram slot and insert a 512MB stick. 128MB onboard ram plus 512MB that you add, total is 640MB.

I now see where the 160 and the 288 come from.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60423

(The computer's single memory slot can accept one 144-pin memory module. A 256 MB module can be used only if the iBook Firmware Update has been installed; otherwise, a 128 MB module is the largest that can be used.)

Without iBook Firmware Update:
32+128=160

With...
32+256=288

If I were you, I'd find the firmware update first, install it, and if successful, get a 256MB stick. Might be possible to get the 512 to work (hack), but if Apple doesn't mention it as doable...

But if you won't settle with anything under 544.... gotta keep researching. I don't think anything would be veridic enough, but the account of someone who has successfully installed 512MB in an iBook like yours.

Back