OS 10.0.2 Build 4P12!!

cutman1000

Registered
Well, I got a nice little surprise today when I went to Software Update...a new version of iTunes, and more importantly...10.0.2. Is anyone else surprised that it came out this soon? I heard it wasn't going to be released until late May.

What I've noticed about it so far:

My EzQuest Cobra 30 gb hard drive is finally supported!! I couldn't believe that it showed up on the desktop after the restart!

Windows seem to remember where they were when I closed them and before i restarted.

I haven't really noticed any speed increases.

What else is new? Anyone know?

cutman

2 things you don't mention both relate to iTunes. iTunes now supports CD burning and fullscreen visual effects.

No info on the web yet about whether or not 3rd party CD drives are supported, but I'll try when I get home tonight.

In general OS news, ftpd (the ftp server on OS X) was updated to the latest version to fix some security problems.

--Ryan

Actually it seems faster than 10.0.1 on my system. Its supposed to have drivers for ATI video cards which increases the speed a bit, though not much. There is also an iTunes control dockling but it isn't what I would have liked (its basicly the controls strip module from 9. They should have put the menu items into iTunes dock icon if they were going to do this. I don't want to icons just to be able to move to the next track w/o switching to iTunes. Sorry about the rant).

Another think I noticed that is improved in 4P12...

Internet Explorer can download a file now without being fully taken over! I consider this a great improvement...I can now use IE while it's downloading. Great update.

cutman

Wow! I'm a happy apple camper ... as soon as DVD support comes out, I'm kissing 9.1 goodbye (well, aside from Classic of course).

I'm actually getting slightly (consistently 1 to 2 fps) better framerates in iTunes fullscreen under X than 9.1. And I definitely noticed the speed of the Finder increase, if only just a hair. Window resizing tracks better, and if you're moving really fast, it won't track you at all until you stop - but then it updates just about immediately, then resumes smooth motion as you slow down. At the very least, they've hidden the lags well enough that it doesn't really bother me as much as it used to.

haven't tried downloading with IE yet and browsing, maybe I'll do that 2nite. So far its been useless.

If you haven't heard it, go to http://www.untool.net and listen to the new TooL song. <-- end shameless plug

The system definitely seems to be more responsive and snappier. I imagine a lot of these little updates will be coming down the pipes, and we'll see the OS get very optimized relatively quickly.

Oh yes, and I saw this in the install log for 10.0.2:

/usr/bin/update_prebinding: file is not prebound: /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-i386-apple-macos10
previous message occurred when prebinding /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-i386-apple-macos10
/usr/bin/update_prebinding: file is not prebound: /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-powerpc-apple-macos10
previous message occurred when prebinding /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-powerpc-apple-macos10

Fat Binary? Or conspiracy? Something in me tells me that if Apple really WERE working on i386 support for OS X, it wouldn't be this obvious.
zjd

After installed 10.0.2 and restarted the machine. The dock came up and in the middle of the screen had a window flashing 3 times. It has some text in it, but it falshes too fast, i couldn't read it.

I don't feel and major speed improvement. i-Tune is quicker and can i burn CD now? Not audio CD under i-tune.

Well, it appears that the update has made it so it not only supports apple internal CD-RW's, but also a good number of the external CD-RW's! For instance, I have a Pansonic CD-RW in an external Firewire enclosure, and iTunes burnt a perfect disc with it.

Kudos to apple for getting this support out there so quickly after the initial OS X release.

--Ryan

Originally posted by thedbp
Oh yes, and I saw this in the install log for 10.0.2:

/usr/bin/update_prebinding: file is not prebound: /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-i386-apple-macos10
previous message occurred when prebinding /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-i386-apple-macos10
/usr/bin/update_prebinding: file is not prebound: /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-powerpc-apple-macos10
previous message occurred when prebinding /usr/libexec/gdb/gdb-powerpc-apple-macos10

Fat Binary? Or conspiracy? Something in me tells me that if Apple really WERE working on i386 support for OS X, it wouldn't be this obvious.
zjd

Apple does have an x86 port of darwin, I dont think this means they are/were working on os x (darwin + aqua + other os x stuff) for x86

As for CD burning, my Que! 4X2X8 USB still doesnt work under os x :(

I think we can all agree that 10.0.2 has some major improvements... VERY major improvements. But I switched back to 9.1 today, something I haven't done much of (unless I want to watch movies, grumblequack), and it finally occured to me... 10.0.2 is a lot faster than .0 or .1. But compared to 9.1, its SLOW AS DIRT TRAPPED IN CONCRETE AT THE BOTTOM OF A WELL.

I'm not really mad about this, I'm just confused. How does Apple expect to be able to demonstrate OS X toasting pentiums if they can't even get their Finder windows to resize in real time? Or have something as basic as a web browser launch in a somewhat instantaneous fashion? IE under 9.1 is so much faster starting up it boggles my mind. And OmniWeb, one of the very few alternatives, is even slower, and has less features, although it is much more visually pleasant.

The UI is what really gives the impression of how fast a compuer is. My friend Joe swears my 8600/300 is faster than our friend John's brand new 1 GHz Pentium. And you know what? The responsiveness of the 8600/300 running 9.1 is a lot faster than my G3/350 running OS X. Apps load faster, it boots up faster, and so what if it isn't pretty? I could get SCADS more work done on that than I could on my G3 with X. And I have 3 times the RAM in my G3!

I'm just saying - I want to be able to get stuff done. I want things to happen quickly, especially since I'm still paying an arm and a leg for my G3 and have been kind enough to keep feeding Apple a steady stream of my $'s for new OS's, etc. When they release this "Puma" version of OS X this summer with the new iMacs, it better SCREAM. It better make people say "WOW." Not "My eBay auction is over in 5 minutes, and it takes SIX to load IE! YIKES!"

All I'm hoping for is that the leap is at least equivalent to, if not better than, the incredible difference between system 8 and system 8.1.

And this is horribly off topic, but what does everybody think about the fact that for all the touting Apple is doing for its digital video capabilities, why hasn't anyone bothered to mention in the popular press that there have been digital video capable macs since 1993, when the Quadras were released with SVideo and Composite input/output? Surely that was revolutionary, albeit not as useful (especially with only a 250MB HD!) as it is today. Still, Macs have had this ability for years, only the interface has changed.. I LOVE my 8600 for the VCR-style A/V card they put in that thing. iTunes on a big-screen TV makes for a great chillout room at a party :). Does anyone know if this card is supported by X? I know the beige G3's had the same card or similar, so I was wondering if X had support for that built in ...

sorry for the ramble!
thedbp

Back