OS 10.1.3- Fink- Gnome????

cybergoober

Neomaxizoomdweebie
OK

I wanted to try to install Gnome for my XDarwin setup. So, I went to the Terminal and typed: fink install bundle-gnome. It downloaded all the packages and compiled everything (took a month of Sundays). My question: Now what do I do? I would assume there is some kind of .inst or something that needs to be run, but I can't for the life of me seem to be able to locate it. Can anyone here help me out?

TIA

edit: Is what I installed actually the Gnome window manager? If not how do I get it? I've seen screenshots of people that had it installed, so I know it's possible.

To use Gnome, add the line (at the end of .xinitrc file):

exec /path/to/sw/bin/gnome-session

where "/path/to/sw/bin/gnome-session" is probably just "/sw/bin/gnome-session". I don't know if there are any other ways to do this, but you can set Gnome through the settings panel to open up your preferred window manager. After you do that, you can comment out the line that starts your current window manager. For example, here's my .xinitrc file:

PATH="$PATH:/Volumes/Icarus/sw/bin"

source /Volumes/Icarus/sw/bin/init.sh

# If you login from xdm, uncomment this to make error messages appear
# in the console window.
#
# tail -f /Users/adcockb/.xsession-errors > /dev/console &

xset b off

#xclock -geometry -0+0 &
#eterm &
#xterm &
autocutsel &

#exec twm
#exec wmaker
#exec icewm
#exec enlightenment
#exec blackbox
exec /Volumes/Icarus/sw/bin/gnome-session
#exec fvwm2
#exec oroborus
#exec afterstep

Hope this helps...I don't remember having to run any installation program.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't been online that much since last Thursday.
Do you know whether or not I installed the correct package? I got fed up, nuked my drive and started from scratch. I'm downloading it again. I just hope I'm downloading the right thing here. Thanks again. I'll post back if I run into any more problems.

Thanks, RP. I was hoping I wasn't just wasting my time. Now just waiting for it to finish installing.
*twiddles thumbs*

Sweet, it works. Thanks alot Red Phoenix! Although I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. It's just cool to show all the PC wienies what I can do on my Mac. Thanks again.

Back