OS 10.2.5 FP Imac System freezing - a new Mother of all problems (to me at least)

Zarembo

Contributing member
My Flatpanel original 700mhz machine is freezing every time I start it up. It all started with the OS upgrade to 10.2. I've tried everything from DiskWarrior to Norton to the Disk Utility. I've even checked the ram in OS 9 with a memory tester. The memory checks out as ok.

I have 10.1.5 on a seperate partition, it works fine so it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue. I removed my hub, because it appeared to be creating problems, but the problems actually got worse when I removed it!

Has anyone else had this experience? Any determined solutions?

Freezing where? Blue screen, or on the Apple? Run a check on the disc permissions with the Jag install CD, that will cause a lot of odd things to occur.

Urbansory,

Thank you so much for that advice. To this point, I hadn't realized that using the install cd disk utility would bring such beneficial results. It took care of the issue, something my other efforts never did.

Also, when the freezes occurred, my system finder and applications would still be present. None of the applications would respond, the cursor would move, but the clock (I keep the seconds showing) would freeze as well.

I hadn't realized fixing all disk permissions would be less effective from the system disk, but it made sense with the older versions of other Apple system versions

I learned through trail and error trying to fix my system after updates, and most of the time it was the privileges, so i run a check whenever weird things start to occur along with a scan by Norton utilites.

Yeah, I thought I had it down, but never thought about running just from the install disk.

One can relearn something new every day without having altzheimer's.

I had a freeze (couldn't do anything anymore, pointer was stuck and force quit didn't help...) while quiting Virtual PC 5...

I never had a freeze like that with the mouse freezing. My problems was the blue screen on startup, and being logged out without notice. I know when apps start to unexpectedly quit, I stop working, run my scans, fix the minor problems before they get major, then back to work.

Back