OS 10.2: Installer won't recognize HD!

groverhoo

Registered
So, I just tried installing OS X 10.2. Everything is fine until I reach the Destination screen where nothing appears where my Hard Drive should be. It stays white and the Continue button is greyed out. I've waited a while to see if it eventually appears, but it doesn't.

I have a G4/450 AGP with 192 RAM. I tried Norton's Disk Doctor, Disk First Aid, zapping PRAM, smacking the computer, and rebooting multiple times. All to no avail!

So far, it's been a great computer and it hasn't been buggy or anything - this is the first problem I've ever had installing anything.

Any suggestions? Questions?
Thanks!

You probably just have to reformat. Not fun, I know, but 10.1 even pulled that little greyed out HD trick on me once. Reformatting worked.

I had the same situation with my 867Dual, my old 5400rpm hd
didnt want to appear. and it is working fine in my 733MHz.
I still have no explanation but the speed of the drive..
(wich is really unlikely)

-Sighter

The wierd thing is that I'm not even getting the greyed out hard drive images - it's absolutely white. Nothing is clicking or humming away, so it doesn't seem like it's even trying to look for it.

I guess I can try reformatting, but I'll use it as a last resort.

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently there is an issue with installing Jaguar when there's an external firewire drive connected.

Before you do something radical, check that out and if that doesn't work, check to see if there could be any other peripheral which could cause this conflict (basically, try unplugging everything you don't need to install the update :) )

Cheers,

David

Ah, good point! I do have an external FireWire drive still hooked in... That sounds like that might do the trick.

I was also thinking of putting my SCSI card back in - I had removed Apple's card when OS X wouldn't let my computer go to sleep. But, I kinda don't think that will do much. We'll see.

I'll let you guys know if it worked when I try installing again tonight.

Thanks!

I had the same problem but it was my fact that my mouse was plugged in through a KVM monitor and keyboard switch. As soon as I put a mouse in and unplugged the KVM POOF... no more problem...

Kirk

Back