OS 10.4.9 unexpectedly quiting

SoNiKShOt

Registered
Every 2-5 minutes after i start my computer i get the dark screen that tells me i have to re-start my computer. When i start my computer it gives me a message that says OSX unexpectedly quit. I tried re-installing my Operating System but it still occured. Do any of you have any ideas on what i should do to fix the problem?

If installed, uninstall *anything* to do with unsanity's APE. However, this sounds rather like a hardware problem. Could be bad RAM, could be a troubled USB hub, anything. What's the exact message about unexpectedly quitting? "OSX" is not an application that can unexpectedly quit.

The same thing started happing to me about two or three weeks ago. I repaired permissions and it stopped for a few days, but came right back. This morning it was very bad, quitting every few minutes. Very frustrating. The screen goes dark and a message appears in a 4"x5" box saying please push and hold the start button to restart, in four languages. On restarting, I get to send a report to apple, but me thinks the report stays on the computer.

I use carbon copy cloner and have a bootable backup on an external hard drive. I have not backed up sense this problem started, so if it is software, the back up should be ok and not crash. If it is hardware, it should crash at some point. Maybe I'll startup on the backup and run it for a few days to see if the system crashes.

I'll keep in touch.

Bill

Last edited:
Ok, I'm making progress. There is some Mac Help on this subject. Search Startup and you will find the "You need to restart your computer" message, and it says,

"You need to restart your computer" message appears
This message indicates that an error occurred in the core of the operating system, which is referred to as a kernel panic. A kernel panic can be caused by damaged or incompatible software or, in rare cases, by damaged or incompatible hardware. The most likely cause of the problem is that a system file or folder has been moved, replaced, or damaged.

If you know that you have moved or renamed a Mac OS X system file or folder, then you must reinstall Mac OS X. (It won't work to just replace the specific item.) If you are not aware of any changes to Mac OS X system files or folders, try the following procedures.

To reselect your Mac OS X startup volume:
Restart your computer. Most often the panic is an isolated event that requires no further action.
Restart your computer while holding down the X key. This may force the computer to start up using your Mac OS X system. If it does, release the X key, then open System Preferences and click Startup Disk. Make sure your Mac OS X system is selected.
If you are unable to start up using the X key, restart your computer and immediately press and hold the Option key. Release the Option key when icons start to appear in the center of the screen. Select the Mac OS X system disk, then click the forward arrow to continue starting up.
If the above attempts to reselect your Mac OS X startup volume are unsuccessful, try resetting PRAM. Shut down your computer, then turn on the computer and immediately press and hold Command-Option-P-R until you hear the startup sound for the second time. Open System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and select your Mac OS X volume.

Note: Resetting PRAM may change some system settings and preferences. Use System Preferences to restore your settings.

Open this for me
"Mac OS X: "Broken folder" icon, prohibitory sign, or kernel panic when computer starts" webpage

I restarted using the "X" key, and that did not help. If I start up in safe mode, by holding down the shift key, I do not get the message. I started up on my backup drive on a seperate hard drive, and so far it has not frozen. I guess I will try resetting the PRAM next. It looks like this started happening when I upgraded to Safari 3.1.1, as my backup is v3.1 Not sure if that is the cause though...

Will keep in touch.

Bill

Not good. I reset the PRAM and now OS X will not start up at all. Everything starts normal, I get the chime, OSX progress box which fills out and the little gear wheel turning, then a blue screen and gear wheel turning, and then a black screen with:

Darwin/BSD (C-76-30-66-9. hsd1tx comcast-ne)
Login:

I can still start up on my backup drive. Once, after the Login, I got

Login: William_C-Tobler Computer mdimportserver [195] Could not create DiskArb session or approvial session.

Any ideas?

Back