Os 10.4.x

cchellis

Registered
We installed new Tiger machines (not an upgrade) and are using several HP networked printers (4250n, 4250dtn, 2300n, 3500n).

We used most of these printers with 10.3.x machines last year and had NO problems.

With the new equipment, running Tiger, we have had HUGE printing issues, primarily service errors. We have been working with HP for over 3 weeks and have tried everything that they have suggested - to no avail. In more detail, here are some of the problems:

Some printers are "spewing out" blank sheets; the lcd panel on the printer says, "printing untitled." After printing 30-50 sheets of blank pages, it finally stops. Other printers' lcd panels have service errors intermittently. This occurs when printing from AppleWorks, Word, iPhoto, Netscape, TextEdit, Safari - you name it! We are using some of the same printers in other buildings, running Panther and DO NOT have any of these issues.

HP has suggested firmware updates - which we did (although one printer will not take the upgrade; the lcd panel says, "resend." All attempts are futile.); trying different drivers (i.e. 4100) which we did; trashing HP files and plugins which we did; installing CPE software (beta) which we did; unplugging the printer for a period of time which we did; tried printing using Bonjour instead of AppleTalk which we did and vice versa. No luck.

Are HP and Apple "talking" about this problem? Is there a pending or proposed solution?

Going crazy in Grandview and grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Cathryn

Hi Cathryn. I'm just a novice here but let me ask. I see by the model numbers they are all network-able. Are they all on the same hub? Have you tried a simple crossover cable from your Mac directly to a printer (therefore bypassing the hub)? Try only one printer at a time please.

If you'd like to contact me directly reach me at:
millerchriscusa@netscape.net

Thanks
C

Back