os 10.6 and maxtor one touch II

avrett

Registered
After upgrading to Snow Leopard one of my Maxtor one touch II partitions will not open. The Mac thinks the partition is an alias and gives the error message:"The alias "Archive" can't be opened because the original item can't be found". This is followed by buttons for delete alias, fix alias, and ok.

Delete alias yields:"The item “Archive” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted."

Fix alias yields a window where I'm asked to select the original item. The partition name is grayed out.

OK yields no result.

My iTunes library is on the partition and iTunes can access it.

Disk repair utility runs repair disk after iTunes shuts down and says that the drive volume appears to be OK followed by "Volume repair complete." then by "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required."

There is no change in the alias issue.

disk repair reports over 52,000 files in the partition.

At the bottom of the disk repair screen it says Owners enabled no. Is that the problem and how do I fix it? If not what is the issue?

Thanks

James T. Avrett , avrett2@gmail.com

In disk utility when you click on the Maxtor, at the bottom it will display what kind of file system it is. Is it GUID, Apple Partition Map, MSDOS?

I solved the problem. The alias bit in the drives name had been flipped. I used a program Path Finder to flip the alias flag off. I have my drive back!

Thanks for all your time and effort.

JTAII

I had the exact same problem. Your solution was "on the nose"! problem solved.

My problem started with an upgrade to 10.6 and involved a Maxtor drive... Troubling?!

hey, can you explain what you did to fix it? Im stuck with disk utility saying
"Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required." and it never goes anywhere, but I couldnt quite get how you solved it.
thanks!

@ jgcalifornia

The problem was exactly what Avrett described "The alias bit in the drives name had been flipped" I located and downloaded the trial version of the program Path Finder and used it to flip the alias bit back off. And Voilà! the drive was back to life with all data intact!!

Back