OS 9.2.2 will not boot from HD.

jsirvatka@mac.c

Registered
I have a PowerPC G4 (867 Mhz) with Jaguar (10.2.8.) I can operate in classic mode, but unfortunately, the 1 program I need to run (MOTU's Mosaic) can only work in non-simulation mode, or rather OS 9 that boots from the OS 9 HD.

I can select OS 9 as a start-up disc, but upon OS 9 boot, there is a chime and then only a grey screen.

FWIW, I also can NOT boot and install from Apple's OS 9 installer disc. I've never been unable to boot from a disc holding down the "C" key. I could not even boot with NO hard drives attached. This secondary issue may or may not be related.

This G4 used to boot OS 9. So it's as if it forgot how. I'm suspecting a firmware issue, but after much trouble shooting...even entering Open Firmware reset commands, I have made no progress.

When you choose System Preferences and your OS 9 disk is in there, can you choose to boot off of that? Also try booting with the Option rather than "C" key.

I would recommend putting OS 9 on a separate partition. If you back up your data, make a small partition for OS 9. It is like a second internal HD and you can boot to that rather than rtrying to find a disk.

--J.D.

You might need to bless the system folder, which can be done with the old Disk First Aid provided with OS 9, the old Disk Warrior, or Norton 6. There might even be an Open Firmware command, but you'll have to google that.

Oh yeah! Duh!! I even know an Apple Tech who forgot about that! :)

*Dusts Off Old OS 9 Pogue Book*

Does not have it! USELESS!! *Tosses Across Room* Google-Fu to the rescue!

Blessing the System Folder (OS 9)

If your computer has "forgotten" which folder is the system folder, you may need to "Bless the System Folder".

Check to see if the folder is blessed:
Insert the Software Install CD into the drive (also known as Mac OS CD or System Software CD, but not the Restore CD), restart the computer, and hold the C key down as it boots up. The computer will then attempt to boot from the Software Install CD. Once the computer has successfully booted, open the boot drive and locate the System folder. If this folder does not resemble the "Happy Mac" icon the folder may need to be Blessed.

Re-Blessing the System Folder
These steps will help the computer recognize which System Folder to use:

1. Make sure your computer is booted from the Software Install CD.
2. Double-click on the hard drive.
3. Double-click on the System Folder
4. Double-click the System file. (It looks like a suitcase.) If you are unable to open the System file, you may need to reinstall the system software.
5. After the System file opens, close the System and System Folder windows and restart the computer.

If this doesn't work, try the following:

1. Boot up your computer using the Software Install CD.
2. Drag the System file out of the System Folder to another location on your hard disk (the Desktop is locked).
3. Close the System Folder.
4. Put the System file back into the System Folder and restart your computer.

If none of these steps work, you will need to reinstall you system software.

UW Computing Fundamentals

With the price of hard drives these days, I'd install a second one inside your G4, it's a simple enough task. OS 9 prefers smaller drives, so an 80 or 120 Gb one would be better than a large capacity unit. Put all your OS 9 stuff on a dedicated hard drive, and boot from that as required. All you do is select the startup disk from SysPrefs (X) or Control Panels (9). I do this regularly with my b/w G3 (although I have to admit that Classic doesn't get the workout it used to).

Indeed. I will note that on my Widdle Pismo with a 100 Gig HD, I partitioned it to about 10 Gig for OS 9. I used OS 9 for a number of functions. Anyways, I never came close to filling up the 10 Gigs. So I would not waste 80 to 120 Gigs for OS 9.

--J.D.

Back