OS 9.2 clean install???

nazo

Registered
I would like to do a clean install of my system and I am currently running OS 9.2 that I downloaded from the apple web site. There is no option to clean install when I run the installer. Any recommendations? I cannot start up from the original system 9 system discs because the CD/DVD drive wont read the disk. Audio CD's work just fine and I am trying to rule out system software problems by doing a clean install. Please help!!! :eek:

Borrow a CD drive from a friend or another computer Mac PC whatever and use it to do a clean install. I chucked the CD drive that came with my G3, and am using a Sony DVD drive (DDU 1640 it's supposed to be Pee Cee only but it works great right out of the box). Mabey your drive is just dirty, or worn out it does happen.
As far as my instalation of OS 9.2.2 for classic use I put it on a seprate HD and only use it for classic, I run my OS 9.2.2 regular system folder off a partition on my main drive. This makes classic much more stable in OS X land.
Hope this helps.
Onanum

Originally posted by Onanum
Borrow a CD drive from a friend or another computer Mac PC whatever and use it to do a clean install. I chucked the CD drive that came with my G3, and am using a Sony DVD drive (DDU 1640 it's supposed to be Pee Cee only but it works great right out of the box). Mabey your drive is just dirty, or worn out it does happen.
As far as my instalation of OS 9.2.2 for classic use I put it on a seprate HD and only use it for classic, I run my OS 9.2.2 regular system folder off a partition on my main drive. This makes classic much more stable in OS X land.
Hope this helps.
Onanum

If audio CD's are working I would look more toward the CD than the drive itself.
The reason you're not able to do a clean install from the Download is that it's an update only. To keep the download size down they include only the changed files.

Nazo: Do other Data CD's work with your Mac?

thanks for the response...only audio CD's work. I have tried several software CD's from 'mac addict' demos to the software restore CD's. The machine just spits them back out or gives me an error message that the disk is unreadable and do I want to initialise...but audio CD's work everytime. I cannot start up from the system discs either. In another thread I was told that it is probably a software problem and a clean install should fix it but I can't do a clean install from disk or download...any suggestions. Oh! I tried to boot the CD in ISO format by holding down the option-control-i keys (I think that's the combination). The disk appeared on the desktop but I couldn't open it. That was the closest I got to fixing it...

Back