OS 9 and OS X not playing together nicely!

strunz

Registered
Hi! I posted this on the public forum, but didn't get an answer. Hope you can help.

I have a B&W G3/400, 1 gb RAM. I have 5 drives on my computer: 1) Dedicated to OS 9.2.2; 2) Backup for OS 9.2.2 (cannot boot from this drive; it has replaced the Zip drive on ATA bus 0); 3) Dedicated to audio; 4) Dedicated to audio backup; 5) Dedicated to document archive (on SCSI card, cannot boot).

I initialized the audio backup drive (120 gb) and made two partitions: 110 gb for audio backup and 10 gb for OS X. I then installed OS X on the partition successfully.

Since I had problems before, I restarted and booted from my Norton Utilities disk and checked all the other disks. EACH DISK had this error message:

"There is a major error in the Alternate Volume Header Block. The last mounted version is invalid. The Volume Header Block and Alternate store important information about your HFS+ disk, such as the number of files and folders on the disk (6, 2, 36)".

I then repeated the process. Same thing.

What do I do now? Most of my software is older and not written for OS X, and I can't afford updates. Plus, I like OS 9.2.2, particularly for its stability with audio. Help!

P. S.: To clarify, I did NOT run Norton on the OS X partition. This is the actual sequence of events:

1) Installed OS X.
2) Restarted, booted to OS 9 disk.
3) Restarted, booted to Norton CD (OS 9).
4) Ran Norton on all OS 9 disks and got the error messages.

Thanks.

First off, you don't say which version of MacOS X you are running. Two things come immediately to mind. One is that you have no business running a MacOS 9 version of Norton Utilities on your disks. You know that it is incompatible with MacOS X 10.4. Booting into MacOS 9 will not magically make Norton compatible. But, no MacOS 9-compatible version of Norton can be expected to understand the structure of the newerMacOS X of any version, MacOS X 10.4 or whatever. The second thing that comes to mind is that your partition for MacOS X is way too small. The OS loves all the hard drive space it can get for its virtual memory. Having only 10 MB on the boot partition is likely to cause problems.

he did just say that he did not run norton on the os x drive, only the os 9 drives, so that is not the issue. what was your problem that led you to run norton in the first place? and what happens if you let norton repair the drives? if there is no problem let things be. because it is having problems with the "Alternate Volume Header Block", i'd say not to worry, but the next time you boot into os 9, hold down the option and command keys at the same time until you get to the desktop. before it mounts the drives, it will ask to rebuild the desktop of the boot drive. click yes and let it do its thing (it can take a while). then as it comes to each of the other drives, it will ask the same thing. click yes on all but the os x boot drive ( never rebuild the desktop on an os x boot volume! ). that should help, and i'd do that before letting norton try to fix it.

sinclair_tm said:
he did just say that he did not run norton on the os x drive, only the os 9 drives, so that is not the issue. ...
Reread the OP. He said that he ran Norton on "EACH DISK."

Back