OS 9 Interface

RSplash40

Registered
Others will probably boo and hiss, but I loved the OS9 interface, it was so easy to use and easy to teach someone to use. OSX is entirely un-mac IMHO.

There are many annoying features of OSX that I havent figured out how to crack yet, such as the default folders, alias' not following originals when moved, and the applications/utility folders.

If it werent for the long file name support and X-Assist I wouldnt keep OSX on my mac. I cant use half the hardware I currently have and can't afford to upgrade it either. Thankfully, I dont need that hardware today, except for my scsi CDR.

I bought OSX under the guise that all my hardware would be supported only to find out I had to invest in a new printer(ok, needed one anyway), usb card reader which turned out to not be supported under osx afterall. And I sit with a scsi scanner and scsi burner that also can't be used.

Please update your scsi support and give us the OS9 look and feel back!

thanks

Mike

Didn't Apple fire their whole Human Interface Engineering group?

Sure, OS 9 looks kind of clunky compared to XP, but it had evolved to a state of grace in my opinion, and was very forgiving. It still seems better than Windows in many ways. There are quite a few behavioral quirks with OS X that could be solved by porting in some features from OS 9. I know Spring-loaded folders are coming, but there is more that needs to be saved.

1 - alternate grey lines in column and list views. All-white lists are hard to read and you can't see what lines up with what. iTunes uses this, why can't Aqua?

2- make list view the default in Open/Save dialogs. I have encountered a too-small Column View too many times to mention.

3- Column views that support individual column resizes and proportional fit-to-length. How many times have you been gliding sideways and had it jump columns, causing you to forget where you are in the hierarchy, and preventing you from dragging and dropping items back across several columns?

4-draggable window edges. OK, it messes with the clean everything-hangs-flat-from-the-titlebar aesthetic of Aqua, but too many times, windows have opened where the draggable part is *above* the menubar (particularly pop-ups).

5-The ability to disable font smoothing, image scaling and drop shadows. Just running the cursor through the Dock with Magnify enabled makes my CPU usage spike to nearly 100%, on a G4 Cube/450 with 576MB. OS 9 let us turn smoothing off for compatibility, readability and speed; OS X should too. To compensate for readability when smoothing is disabled, Apple should commission a new set of pixel fonts- including very small all-caps ones for people who like to max out their screen resolution (such as the ones from www.miniml.com).

I totally agree regarding OS9's interface being superior to OSX. There is only one OSX feature i like and that's the column view, but other than that, i wish we could have the OS9 interface with columns.

At the very least bring back the apple menu and allow us to turn off the dock (or have more than one dock).

Originally posted by RSplash40
Others will probably boo and hiss, but I loved the OS9 interface, it was so easy to use and easy to teach someone to use. OSX is entirely un-mac IMHO.

I agree with you! Ive used macs since 91, and while X has some good stuff, some things were changed that should not have been.

To me, X is VERY much windows like......

I dont like that apple changed the folder/file structure around so much.... its hard to find where things are...

Its cool to have unix underpinnings, protected memory, preemptive multitasking, new interface, etc... but..

the folder structure should have been left alone.

Back