OS 9 is alive and kicking!!!

when i ran 9 on my g4 a few years back i had a freeze every couple hours, sure 9 is snapy, but losing an hour of photoshop work makes it the most unapealing os ever. sure it costs alot to upgrade... but its more reliable, give adobe cs a try on panther and youll see that paying a bit for dependable computing is well worth it.

We use 9 for our pro audio studio setup. ProTools, damn near every plugin ever made, and Digital Performer 3. Tweaked just right and running very stable and speedily on the last of the great G4 beasts (dual 1.25) that still boots 9.

Our prospects in X are grim, but we are gearing up for it. ProTools 6.2.2 runs on Panther as of this week, and We have been experimenting with Mach5 and Digital performer 4 on Jaguar. If we can get a stable system running, we plan to switch to X next season.
the main problem I see is plugins. X will be great for tracking and composing, but when it comes to mixing, we will need the full DSP power that all our old 9 plugins provided. Replacing all of them at this point is not even remotely fiscally feasable. Damn the ilok!

I wish my powerbook booted 9.

os9 ist'n stable!!! it may be faster then osx, but what does that matter when your always crashing and having to reboot, So that just makes work hard to get done. But OSX(10.3.1) seems to almost have that os9 speed, but also being rock solid, and the dynamicaly alocated Ram between apps and what not, make it that much better.

jimbo61 said:
os9 ist'n stable!!! it may be faster then osx, but what does that matter when your always crashing and having to reboot, So that just makes work hard to get done. But OSX(10.3.1) seems to almost have that os9 speed, but also being rock solid, and the dynamicaly alocated Ram between apps and what not, make it that much better.
Well sure, compared to OS X, OS 9 is a house of cards, but compared to other classic Mac OS's it's the epitomy of stability. I've had my fair share of crashes in OS 9, but I still use it quite often (as now) because, unlike Windows, it doesn't just spontaneously go wrong most of the time.

And OS X is by no means free of problems. There are plenty of processes that will bring OS X to its knees and make it beg for its mommy, and it's still slow for many tasks. Sure, you make up for it by multitasking; but it should still have a fast interface.

To say that OS 9 is dead is naïve, even from Steve Jobs's mouth. There are still plenty of people with no means or intent to upgrade, and to disregard them, while easier as a business, doesn't make much business sense. That, however, is the direction the industry has gone, and will always go; it's just as bad on the dark side of the fence, after all.

I can totally understand the appeal of OS 9. It is definitely faster in feel and general operability. I complained about OS X's GUI for a year straight, only to be bombarded on this forum for this or that reason. OS X has its frustrations, to be sure, however...

There is at least one area where OS 9 can not even touch OS X and that is fearless multitasking. Sure, OS 9 pretends to multitask and occasionally you can get away with it, but OS 9 cannot hold a candle to OS X for something like this, which I do consistantly and wouldn't even dream of doing in OS 9:

1. Capture DV footage, full tape, hour long, no skipped frames
2. Download a 20 MB file from the internet, decompress it
3. Work in Photoshop
4. Burn a DVD in Toast
5. Print several high quality, large file prints from InDesign
6. Render After Effects composites

All at the same time, no problem (DP 1 GHZ G4 1 GB RAM). That second processor surely helps, but so does OS X. Try that in OS 9. Go ahead. Try it. ;)

What's scary is that on the DP G5, you can monitor the CPU usage running all that stuff and you will typically still have headroom where on the G4, you'd be maxed out quickly on the CPU. That means you can run tons of stuff on the G5 and not even detect a delay or hiccup amongst the apps (assuming enough RAM, etc.). That is impressive.

I switched to OS X back in the "Beta" days, because I knew it was the future and I knew someday its advantages would be worth it. I think we're just now on the cusp of that day with the G5s and Panther. I mean, Exposé alone is just about worth the switch. And can you say "Seven DV streams in FCP"?

It's funny, it's almost like we have a 3-way OS war now!

p.s. What is this "Quark" thing everyone speaks of? (joke: XPress is dead to me.)

Back