OS 9 is the worst thing ever invented

solrac

Mac Ninja
I don't understand.
I open Netscape 4.x and boom classic environment crashes. Fine.

Then I click to start classic again, and it crashes immediately upon finishing booting up.

So I try restarting OS X. Might as well.

Same thing.

Aaaaaaargh!! What did I do? Nothing!!!!!

So I remove ALL extensions by just dragging them to extensions (disabled) folder.

I start classic. "Would you like to add the necessary classic-specific resources?" Yes, please. Classic starts flawlessly.

Of course I get all the errors associated with removing my extensions. Such as "Quicktime Streaming failed because open transport is missing"

So I put all the extensions back. Classic takes forever to start. It never starts. So I remove them all again. Classic works. A RANDOM extension corruption? I must find the extension now... Yes, I play the freakin' STUPID ass extensions game once again, goddamit. I can't wait to KILL OS 9.

Well after about 10 - 12 restarts of classic I narrowed down the crashing extensions to ONE extension: "Shared Library Manager PPC". There is also a "Shared Library Manager" extension but it works fine. But if I put the one with "PPC" at the end of the name into the extensions folder, classic is screwed.

OK, so now ALL my extensions are back (except for that one), but I STILL GET THE DAMN OPEN TRANSPORT MISSING ERROR!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!

And, Flash will no longer open. Even with all the extensions back.

So I have no choice but to clean install 9.2. Ridiculous.

Why would this happen randomly? No ideas?

Sigh...... one day OS X will be standalone
once Flash, Photoshop, Office, Media Player, and Illustrator come out, that's enough for me to just trash OS 9 and classic once and for all. I just can NOT wait...........

-solrac-

I can't wait to banish Platinum from OS X! ;)

I agree, there are many annoying aspects of Classic, the most annoying one is starting it up. :p

It's just nice to have it there for EV and Crystal Quest, to mention a few nice games.

manually moving extensions from the extensions folder to the disabled extensions is not the best way. u should do this using the extensions manager.

flash is a plugin for ur browser, this has nothing to do wit ur system extensions. if flash won't work, u have probably removed the shockwave flash plugin by accident. it should b located in ur browsers plugin folder or inside the system folders plugin directory.

open transport won't work without shared library manager ppc. shared library manager and shared library manager ppc need to be loaded together. just one of these extensions alone wont work. if ur ppc extension is corrupted, u should copy it from ur os 9 system cd to ur harddrive again.
by the way, it could also b a corrupted preferences file which lets ur os 9 startup crash. try to remove all preferences which have something to do wit tcp/ip, remote acces, networking etc.

n this is not os 9s fault, that it wont work correctly.
i have been using os 9 for like 1 1/2 years now, and it never crashed during startup, and it also almost never crashed while working wit it.

Originally posted by Dradts
manually moving extensions from the extensions folder to the disabled extensions is not the best way. u should do this using the extensions manager.

True, but this is the easiest way to see if it is really an extension problem.

flash is a plugin for ur browser, this has nothing to do wit ur system extensions. if flash won't work, u have probably removed the shockwave flash plugin by accident. it should b located in ur browsers plugin folder or inside the system folders plugin directory.

No, I meant flash the development tool to create flash movies. It needs an extension called WinSock Lib to work, for some reason. It is there. But it just stopped working! However, I got it to work by turning off extensions in the classic preferences pane.

open transport won't work without shared library manager ppc. shared library manager and shared library manager ppc need to be loaded together. just one of these extensions alone wont work. if ur ppc extension is corrupted, u should copy it from ur os 9 system cd to ur harddrive again.
by the way, it could also b a corrupted preferences file which lets ur os 9 startup crash. try to remove all preferences which have something to do wit tcp/ip, remote acces, networking etc.

This makes perfect sense. Then the problem is that shared library manager PPC corrupted itself. Only on OS 9 could trash like this happen. Ok, ok.. it may JUST be a corrupt preference file that works with shared library manager PPC. The last thing I can do is to trash all preferences associated with TCP/IP, etc. etc. You truly know your extensions though!

n this is not os 9s fault, that it wont work correctly.
i have been using os 9 for like 1 1/2 years now, and it never crashed during startup, and it also almost never crashed while working wit it.

Well it ain't my fault! I didn't corrupt shared library manager PPC nor its preference file (if that's the problem). It's an OS 9 problem. Thanks so much for that info, though, it'll help me restore my OS 9 to where it was before. I reinstalled 9.1 by the way, with clean install, then updated to 9.2.1 again. Then I put all my preferences back. So it must be the preferences.

-solrac-

im not saying that its ur fault that os 9 aint working right. i think it could have been another programm that messed up some preferences files.
like when i installed unsanity echo on my os 9 once, it messed up the tcp/ip prefs, and after that my mac showed me the nasty bomb box everytime i tried to boot my system.
it took me like 2 hours to figure out, that it wuz my tcp/ip preferences which caused os 9 to crash. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dradts
im not saying that its ur fault that os 9 aint working right. i think it could have been another programm that messed up some preferences files.
like when i installed unsanity echo on my os 9 once, it messed up the tcp/ip prefs, and after that my mac showed me the nasty bomb box everytime i tried to boot my system.
it took me like 2 hours to figure out, that it wuz my tcp/ip preferences which caused os 9 to crash. :rolleyes:

See??? Living proof that OS 9 sucks ass! Only OS 9 could let an app mess up the rest of the system. Hopefully something like that can never happen on OS X. Unsanity is a ghetto software operation, btw. Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

I have bought 5 Macs in my day, all with some decent preinstall of the OS, and without fail, the first thing I would to to configure my system would be to open up the control panels folder and
Apple - A
Apple - O
Ready to configure the living crap out of my brand new computer and officially make it mine. Without fail, this would be the first crash of my new computer. Don't open all of your control panels at once. Not in classic. It just can't handle it.

9 did a lot of things right. It's still a model for a lot of user interface, the likes of which we may never see again. But yeah - Fragile to the point of suckitude.

i think os x's preferences can also become messed up, like when the preferences pane crashes while saving some changed preferences.
but anyways, this won't affect other users on the system nor the system itself, which is a pretty cool advantage compared to os 9

Originally posted by simX
It's just nice to have it there for EV and Crystal Quest, to mention a few nice games.
Yeah, EV ROCKS!!!!!!! In high school I got the whole computer club addicted to that game, which ended up being the only non-class related reason they used the macs. Also, I got several of my friends here at Penn State Abington (a very anti-Mac campus) addicted to it for a while last year. My favorite plugin:
Star Wars ANA. I'll probably post elsewhere in the forum about the whole anti-Mac issue, and how the computer labs here don't support the Macs at all (the one Mac lab is beige G3s running MacOS 8.1).

Back