OS X 10.1.3 stability is poor!

Dradts

Official Mac User
Since I updated to OS X 10.1.3, my mac crashes at least once a day. The kernel won't panic, but after having my iMac running for like 10 hours, the spinning rainbow cursor will appear and never disappear again until i reboot.
This really sucks. Wit 10.1.2 I wuz having uptimes of about 30 days or more, but now it won't even stay up for 2 days :mad:

I had something like that with an earlier update, I forget which. What fixed it for me was rebooting single user (command-option-s-u) and then running '/sbin/fsck -y' until it stopped finding problems. Then just type 'reboot' and let it boot normally.

I assume you haven't noticed any common theme to these beachball-o-death incidents, beyond that you've been running for a day or two...

You're in better shape than I. I was extremely happy with 10.1.2. I updated to 10.1.3 thinking everything would be grand. Instead, when I tried to reboot in OS 9, I got a broken folder icon and no restart. After a weekend of backing up and reloading everything up to 10.1, I now discover that 10.1.2 is unavailable. I fear 10.1.3. In subsequent reading, I think the problem may be with an Apple external CD that I have hooked up via a SCSI chain. However, I dread taking the chance. 10.1.2 ran like a charm for me. Now I don't know what to do. Stay at 10.1 and miss out on iPhoto, (which I loved), or take the chance at redoing everything again?

A lot of my headaches went away when I found a little tidbit on both Apple and Sonnet's site about installing OSX on drives larger than 8gig on certain machines(my beige G3 was one of them). Once I put OSX into a 7 gig partition(one that starts at sector 0) on my 20 gig drive I've been very stable and even my classic apps haven't crashed.

This ran for a couple of weeks under 10.1.2 and has been fine ever since 10.1.3 came out.

I have to admit that I had MANY Finder crashes since 10.1.3...about two or three a day...it's not dramatic, but I am sure it is related to the update...99% sure....I think it is... ;)

10.1.3 sucked for me from the get go. My problems didn't concern stability but rather "usability". I'm one of those who has a PC GeForce (the Verto one) and 10.1.3 made it useless. After I fixed this problem (ended up replacing some files with ones from my 10.1.2 partition) I find that mouse speeds in most games absolutely sucks. Overall, it's not worth it for me...

I'm running a QS 867. I have had no problems at all since upgrading to 10.1.3. Works great. Actually, I have had only one crash and that was last September. OS X is my main OS. It is running every day.

the finder chrashs I experienced always appeared when I was searching some media file in column view, so when clicked quickly through a bunch of files or movies...

i discovered that my os x 10.1.3 installation will only crash when using java apps (especially limewire). i tried to not use them for the last 2 days, and what a surprise - my mac is still running and still seems to be stable.
so i guess my problem has more to do with the new java vm which i recently installed than with mac os x 10.1.3 itself.

maybe ill install the java vm again, perhaps this will fix that problem... :)

Originally posted by Dradts

Run software update, there is an update for Java available, it is ~20 megs but stabilized my Java apps quite a bit, LimeWire especially. Also be sure to have the latest version of LimeWire (2.2.3) which is much more stable in itself and also has an improved UI (namely menus in the menu bar! what a novel concept on a Mac...)

As for 10.1.3, I installed it on my iBook and have been running it problem free since. Application launch times and the GUI seem a bit snappier even.

And for those who experience a lack of finding the system, here's a little tip:
read the read-me's that come with your Apple installers! Many machines are only capable of using a system folder installed on the first 'x' gigs of the internal hard drive where 'x' = the number of gigs the original drive in the machine came with. OS X knows to avoid installing outside these barriers on these such machines but OS 9 is completely oblivious. To prevent this from being a problem, simply create a partition a little smaller than the original hard drive size as the first partition on the disk and use that for your system software. I've been screwed by this problem before on my iMac, it only recognizes a system installed on the first 4gigs of a hard drive.

Run software update, there is an update for Java available, it is ~20 megs but stabilized my Java apps quite a bit, LimeWire especially. Also be sure to have the latest version of LimeWire (2.2.3) which is much more stable in itself and also has an improved UI (namely menus in the menu bar! what a novel concept on a Mac...)

As for 10.1.3, I installed it on my iBook and have been running it problem free since. Application launch times and the GUI seem a bit snappier even.

And for those who experience a lack of finding the system, here's a little tip:
read the read-me's that come with your Apple installers! Many machines are only capable of using a system folder installed on the first 'x' gigs of the internal hard drive where 'x' = the number of gigs the original drive in the machine came with. OS X knows to avoid installing outside these barriers on these such machines but OS 9 is completely oblivious. To prevent this from being a problem, simply create a partition a little smaller than the original hard drive size as the first partition on the disk and use that for your system software. I've been screwed by this problem before on my iMac, it only recognizes a system installed on the first 4gigs of a hard drive.

Originally posted by kommakazi

ive got already installed that update. guess thats y java apps now crash my mac from time to time. ive got also the newest version of limewire.

the whole java thang seems to be much faster than it wuz before i downloaded the java vm update. but also much more unstable :(

Since I updated to OS X 10.1.3, my mac crashes at least once a day. The kernel won't panic, but after having my iMac running for like 10 hours, the spinning rainbow cursor will appear and never disappear again until i reboot.
This really sucks. Wit 10.1.2 I wuz having uptimes of about 30 days or more, but now it won't even stay up for 2 days :mad:

i don't have the severe case you have, but some of my apps will just up and quit w/ an "unexpected error" (in which case, when are then ever EXPECTED?:rolleyes: ) it was the newsreader 'toth'. it happened after i updated to 10.1.3:mad:

I've had so many crashes and freezes since updating to 10.1.3 last week. It's getting to be a real pain. I followed someone's instructions to start up with the S and run fsck -y. So, I tried that and it said it fixed some stuff. When I typed "exit" it continued to start up and then froze when it got to the line (something like) "starting quartz.bundle". I've done it over and over and it just stops there every time. What is quartz? Is it something that has changed in 10.1.3? I'm wondering if it is causing all of my problems.

I do have the Java update already. My freezes occur in all different ways. Some are in programs, sometimes it just does it moving my cursor around on the desktop. I don't want to reinstall again, but may have to if this doesn't clear up. Anybody else noticing the quartz thing?

Back