OS X 10.1.5 Doesn't Shutdown or Restart

dannywng

Registered
I'm using OS X 10.1.5 on a G4 400 with gigabit ethernet.

Recently when I attempt to shutdown/reboot the system does the usual quit applications and goes to the blue screen with spinning cursor. Instead of the screen blanking out it just hangs in the spinning cursor mode.

Only way to get out of this is to either press the power button or manual restart on the CPU.

Interesting note is the system will shutdown/restart normally if I don't open any applications before doing the shutdown/restart.

If anyone has some ideas on how to remedy this I would appreciate it.

thanks,
Danny

I have the same problem. What to do? I think that is a bugg. I write to Apple, but like always Apple never answer.

also, do you have classic running?

Ive noticed that happens sometimes when I shut down after starting classic. Also, you may try force restarting the finder.

If all else fails, you can try a:

sudo shutdown

in the terminal.

I had this same problem and after a few hours with Apple tech support we found that the problem was Norton file saver. One of the Unix panels actually showed the last thing at shutdown was a problem with file saver. I turned off file saver and the problem was gone. Symantec is aware that there is a problem and are working on a fix. This is a problem with OS 10.1.5 only.:)

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

After doing some trouble-shooting I found the culprit.... it was an Extensions file: "SymOSXKernelUtilities".
Took it out and now OS X restarts/shutsdown flawlessly.

Anyone know what this file is for? I know that some application install added it to my Extensions since it was not part of the virgin OS install.

Danny

Try it using terminal.
If you system isn't capable to restart/shutdown.
Type in terminal (logged in as root) "shutdown" or "reboot".
Once you've rebooted hit "command" + "s" keys to start in darwin interface.
Follow this steps:
1>type "su"
2>type "fsck"
When it finished you've to read "system file has been modified". If "fsck" don't show this message, try once more this. You have to perseverate in this command because it, probably, will repair your problems with OSX.
Third step... reboot (typing reboot in Darwin).
Fourth step... enjoy OSX.
Sorry my poor english.

Back