OS X 10.1 adds Chinese and other languages, but....

travelgz

Registered
Hi,
After the quick update from the 10.1 update cd, I noticed that Chinese and other languages finally appeared on the internationalization option. But during the update I did not notice any localization files for these locales loaded. So perhaps because of that, by selecting Chinese and even after relogging in, the interface remains English. So is there a way to load localization files for Chinese or for any other locale manually?

Thanks,
Guoneng

I was playing around with OS X,
Go into the internation pane,
right next to the language list (top part) it says "edit"
Click on that and you will see other languages unchecked (like russian, bulgarian, ukraniam, and among them there is chinese!)

I do not know if everything is localized in chinese since there arent any packages saying "chinese localized files" but I think that if you enable chinese and have it as your main language if you have an application in chinese, OS X will use chinese menus with it :)

hope this helps :)

Admiral

Yeah, that's what I suspected too. There is no installed Chinese localized files as there are for Portuguese, Spanish, etc. I wonder if these files are downloadable in the future from Apple or if it is possible for developers to make and distribute them....

Thanks!
G

AFAIK, Mac OS X 10.0 (4k78) was released in 2 forms - the initial release, supporting 7 languages including English; and the international release, supporting additional languages such as Korean and Chinese. The international release seems to have been available primarily in those countries which native language was not supported in the initial release, such as, Korea. (duh) I have read posts that some time around July in Japan, shops had 2 different copies of 10.0 (4k78) in stock, and if you would ask for the international release, you got one which has Chinese. I have no personal experience with the international release, but I do know that the inital release had appropriate code pages for all supported languages, but things such as IME's were missing.

I would suppose that shortly afterwards Apple will release the same build of 5g64 in the 'international' format, which will suit your needs.

I'm running 10.0.3 (Build 4M23) localized for Taiwan with Traditional Chinese Characters, but I still configurated it in English. I suggest you not to localize your machine into Chinese if you can get by with English. Chinese localization is for Apple to sell its computers to people who only read and understand Chinese.

Besides, while many of you are enjoying 10.0.4 and 10.1, I'm still stuck with 10.0.3. I cannot wait until I can upgrade to 10.1.

Enjoy upgrading!

George Lien
georgelien@email.com
English Consultant

Hi George, are you able to write in Chinese? I am ok with the English interface right now (I don't read Chinese that well anyway). But I would like to write in Chinese, and selecting either Taiwanese or Mainland keyboard settings did not allow me to type in Chinese. Did it allow you to?

Thanks,
G

Maybe its like japanese where you write in english and it translates for you like if you write

Ohaio gozaimasu it translates that to its japanese character equivilent.

I think more localized version will pop up eventually. I am at the greek site now trying to get answers.

Admiral

No, when I start typing pinyin, nothing happens, like when I type "ni hao" for hi. I found this site for installing Chinese in OS X, but strangely its steps are illustrated by OS 9! So I am researching further.

Thanks everyone!
G

Remember I'm running 10.0.3 (Build 4M23) localized for Taiwan, which should be different from the one you get in the states.

I use Tzu-In via a localized keyboard with Pa-Pu-Ma-Fa and Tsu-On-Ja symbols on the keys.

Pin Yin is for Simplified Chinese input.
It is a different system than Traditional Chinese.

Anyway, as I said before,
while you wish you can input Chinese, I wish I have your 10.1.

Cheers!

George Lien
georgelien@email.com
English Consultant

Ah, so you are using an OSX that is made for Taiwanese interface. I see. Well, don't feel bad about not using 10.1; I think someone is trying to get it on an ftp server for downloading by OS X users on this website. I wish I could contribute, but I don't know how to turn the CD into some ISO image that can be downloaded by you and burn on a cd. It must be on a cd for installation.

G

I cannot even update my OS X to 10.0.4. What made you think I could upgrade to 10.1? Anyway, I want to help you out; however, as you may already know it is difficult to help someone with computer problem when you are not with the person. Anyway, hope you will eventually be able to input Chinese as the way you want.

Regards,
George Lien
georgelien@email.com
English Consultant

Back