OS X 10.1 and webcam?

firewall

Registered
To my knowledge OS X doesn't support webcam yet.

Has anyone been able to get one to work?

Is it a driver issue or not impliment in OS X yet?

alas... I have had the same problem. I don't see anything in X that would NOT allow the camera to work, I just can't get a driver to make my QuickCam work.

Red Phoenix

Registered
Which QuickCam do you have? Not too long after I bought mine, Logitech announced they would stop supporting it, even in OS 9. Mine still managed to work in OS 9 (although I haven't tried it in 9.2.1) even though I've heard numerous reports of it not working. I've long since given up expecting drivers for OS X, and am now looking longingly at a FireWire iBot. I believe they plan on having OS X support eventually, if they don't already.

jdoconnor

Registered
use the classic apps that came with the camera, and it works fine in 10.1 (it didn't work in 10.0.x)

Carlo

All your base are belong
Has anyone ever gotten a Quick Cam Express to work on any flavour of MacOS?

diverman

Registered
I had been waiting for something to make my camera work. I saw several people post saying that their Firewire Pyro webcams worked in OS X. Well, I went out and got one. And gues what... IT DIDN'T WORK! heh.

Well, I was annoyed, but figured that drivers would eventually come out.

Well, just recently, I saw that something called DCam WebCam driver came out. So, I downloaded it and gave it a shot, and suddenly all the webcam apps are seeing the camera and working.. :D one Video conferencing app was crashing the chat window when the camera was hooked up tho. Not sure if that is a bug in the driver or the app itself. I'm suspecting it's the app.

http://www.ioxperts.com/prod.html

So, if you have a webcam that hasn't been working, try this. I think it's for Firewire only, tho... not sure.

-Alex

iceyg

Funky Member
yeah, last I heard kensington sucks b/c they were not going to release MAC OS X drivers...right after I bought the camera too...grrr