OS X 10.2 on a G3 iMac - worth it?

jonbury

Registered
I've been running OS X on my Ti-book 500 for nearly a year now and I think its great. I'm keen to upgrade to Jaguar, and was condsidering a 'family pack' - my girlfriend has a G3 iMac 400 DV, 512MB ram, currently running OS 9. But I'm also a great beleiver in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, so I'm wary of encouraging her to upgrade that machine if that model iMac won't be able to make the most of Jaguar anyway?

Does anyone have any experience of running Jaguar on a similar iMac? Does Quartz extreme run on those machines? Will it just slow things down (she's not a power user - just surfing, MS Office, etc).

Thanks.

I'm running Jag on a 500mhz iMac and there is a very noticable speed improvement compared to 10.1.5 or earlier (very much worth the upgrade) Quartz Extreme does not work but I haven't seen it at work so can't say if I'm missing anything, I don't feel like I am.

I upgraded Monday. Its a definite speed improvement. Not earth-shattering but enough to definitely notice the difference. Windows do open up faster. The Mail.app is 100 times better than before. I also like the look of Jaguar more. The "bubble" look of Aqua is more refined, it has a "flatter" look to it. Sherlock is a nice utility even if it is a rip-off of Watson. The addressbook has improved greatly.

I can't say that its worth the $130, but it is definitely better than 10.1.

No way there are no improving with jaguar on iMac G3 500mhz. I have 768mb. I can't stand with Jaguar. For example when I double clicks on hard drive to open folder and it took me 1 to 2 sec to open it. Same with applications. Everything are so f**king slow. :mad: :mad: :mad:

MacFreak, my machine is very much like yours. Takes me about half a second to open a folder. And in column view, you don't need to open the sucker.
Time for some maintenance on your machine, methinks. ;)

After I installed 10.2 on my 500Mhz iBook (384 mb ram) the speed up was quite noticeable. Not dramatic, but *definitely* an improvement. Plus it seems more stable and with all the other new features, definitely worth it. The more ram, the better and I think 384mb would be a minimum (ram is quite inexpensive right now - shop around!).

Eric

I agreed with you some about Jaguar. It have improved with stable system and features. but it didn't improved with speed. It definitely not improved with speed under 384mb. iMac have 768mb still not different. I realized that Jaguar is good with G4 not G3. I tested on G4 400mhz and it improved speed than iMac 500mhz have. HUH? I am going to return back to 10.1.5. Grin

I am running Jaguar on a G3/500 Indigo iMac, with 128RAM (or is it 256 ? Anyway I need a 512 chip :D ).

And Jaguar runs fine. A bit slow, yes, compared to OS9. I'm a great OS9 lover, I still use it on a daily basis (Fontographer, Quark, ATMD, Acrobat...), the whole system is faster, some games (Quake III, Unreal Tournament...) are too.

Plus, the system takes less RAM. And the less memory it takes, the more I can allocate to Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive, Quark, Acrobat, my browser, ATM and so on...

___RAM question___
(Wait a minute: 128+512 makes it 640 RAM ? Is it possible to get two 512 RAM slots in my iMac so I can get up to 1.1 Gb RAM :p ? Not sure, this RAM is supposed to go in G4s at the basis. Tell me please :) )

OS 10.2.2 gets about 80% of OS 9.2.2's speed on my G3 iMac 400. See below for stats.

Is it just me, or do I just take really good care of my iMac? No one seems to be getting my speeds...

Originally posted by MacFreak
iMac have 768mb still not different. I realized that Jaguar is good with G4 not G3. I tested on G4 400mhz and it improved speed than iMac 500mhz have. HUH? I am going to return back to 10.1.5. Grin

MacFreak: Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install ? I initially had the same problem as you on a G4. I had to do a clean install and the Jaguar would suddenly run like hell...
G3/G4 doesn't matter.

Back