OS X 10.2 scanning and printing

ade

Registered
I'm getting a printer and scanner soon, and I'll be upgrading to 10.2 at the same time. I'm tight for space so I'm looking into getting a Lexmark x83 printer/scanner all in one. Anyone else have one of these in OS X, especially in 10.2? How are they? I'm also looking at a hp PSC 750 or PSC 950, but I understand that the hp OS X drivers are, lets say....crap.

I don't know the x83, but I just bought a lexmark x75 all in one, and I hate it - fortuately, I think Staples is willing to take it back. The print quality is poor, but it is absymally - unusuably - slow in printing either copier mode or from scans. It functions ok as a printer but epsons are much better. The problem with epson (I had a C 80) is that it will not print properly (you can get it to print, but you have ot go through a lot of nonsense) when both Classic and 10 are open. And the reason I have classic open is that the scanner I had been using - the Visioneer Strobr Pro - is being orphaed by Visioneer re OS X. Incredibly stupid on Visioneer's part, but they do not plan to support OS X. Thus to run the Visioneer scanner, you need Classic open, and having Classic open screws up the Epson C80. Which is why I bought the Lexmark. Lexmark runs in X, but its performance s**ks. Which leads me to my question - anone know a good relatively cheap scanner for OS X?

I would also agree with the comment re HP/

i havent upgraded to 10.2 but i do have an agfa snapscan 1212u
flatbed using scanwise x. i do like the output from the scanner and it
works reasonably well... i will tell u when i get 10.2 how it works.

I'm using an Epson Perfection 1650 with OS 10.1.5 as soon as I receive my OS 10.2 I'll check if it works with that. So far no trouble. Also using an Epson Stylus 785EPX printer.

iMac flat panel 15" G4/800/512m/super drive

Originally posted by eastwood21
I don't know the x83, but I just bought a lexmark x75 all in one, and I hate it - fortuately, I think Staples is willing to take it back. The print quality is poor, but it is absymally - unusuably - slow in printing either copier mode or from scans. It functions ok as a printer but epsons are much better. The problem with epson (I had a C 80) is that it will not print properly (you can get it to print, but you have ot go through a lot of nonsense) when both Classic and 10 are open. And the reason I have classic open is that the scanner I had been using - the Visioneer Strobr Pro - is being orphaed by Visioneer re OS X. Incredibly stupid on Visioneer's part, but they do not plan to support OS X. Thus to run the Visioneer scanner, you need Classic open, and having Classic open screws up the Epson C80. Which is why I bought the Lexmark. Lexmark runs in X, but its performance s**ks. Which leads me to my question - anone know a good relatively cheap scanner for OS X?

I would also agree with the comment re HP/

As fas as I know, Staples has a 30 day return policy. For inkjet printers, you can return it, as long as you have the original ink cartridges - the reason being is that they send back the printers DOA, and get reimbursed for them.

Atleast, that's what it's like in Canada.....your country may vary...please consult local store. :D

I know that the HP 3500 and 3570 scanners have OS X drivers, that'll work in Jaguar (according to the box). And HP just released newer printer drivers for 10.1.5 / 10.2.

Back