OS X 10.3.1 Released

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
In Software Update.

From the update text:

The 10.3.1 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: FileVault, Printing, WebDav, and FireWire 800 drives. This update also includes the latest Security Updates.

Important Note: Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive. Even with the improvements available in this update, Apple recommends you update the firmware on your FireWire drive. Please contact your drive manufacturer for more information.

And it was 7C107. Phew, I was lucky. ;-) The update is about 1 MB in size, if it's the same as the developer build. Can anybody confirm?

Erhm... This is certainly kind of strange, buddy... But as 10.3.1 only changed some files and left other untouched... Or was your update much bigger than 1 MB? Resulting in a roundup upgrade? :)

fryke said:
And it was 7C107. Phew, I was lucky. ;-) The update is about 1 MB in size, if it's the same as the developer build. Can anybody confirm?

It's 7C107, 1.3 MB

sounds good to me. Zammy-sam: I would do a clean install of 7B85 after that and reapply the 7C107 update... I don't _think_ you have a 'right' build of OS X right now, rather a "Panthenstein".

Wow, I didn't think about that until after I upgraded my 7B80 machine... I guess I was looking for another good reason to re-install from scratch and re-set things up, I probably should before I run into any serious trouble...

1) yes 2) what problem? ( i have one where it is always bugging me about free space that it can free up)

There has been a documented problem, where file vault can cause data corruption. I can't remember where I read it at, but it has been noted on a few different sites.

Maybe check: www.macfixit.com

Fryke: Also had something around 1.3mb and now it's says it's no pre-release anymore and the build is: 7C107. Anyway, Panthenstein is ok for me too, as long as I don't find any bugs... ;)
The reason I am still on 7b74: it works just fine for me and I am too lazy to reinstall.

Still updates for which you have to restart... I thought this was going to change in Panther :-(

aaike: The question is still whether an update changes things that are only activated after a restart... Depending on what services you're running, you'll want to restart after such an update, anyway... This time, I think, it's mostly the device drivers (IO) that required a restart.

But me too! ;-) ... I want that Apple finds ways to redesign their modular build-up of the system software so that even less restarts are necessary after an update, or that the Software Update can decide what needs to be restarted. (Instead of just whether a reboot is necessary.)

As far the as update goes, I've noticed an increase with stability. Haven't tried File Vault yet (haven't tried it all due to the bugs reported). Can someone confirm if the .1 update fixes this?

The upgrade seems to have helped my B&W G3. I had been having KP's and random freezes just like OS 9. Filemaker 5.5 was very unstable. Last night after installing I have had no problems. I'll feel much better about it once I get a few more days with it. I was nice to get 8 hours in on FMP with no problems. I was really missing Panther when I had to go back to Jaguar.

uoba said:
As far the as update goes, I've noticed an increase with stability. Haven't tried File Vault yet (haven't tried it all due to the bugs reported). Can someone confirm if the .1 update fixes this?
Well after the update imovie does not show any camera input... at least in my case :mad:

Ever since I updated to 10.3.1 yesterday, I have been experiencing frequent program crashes (stuff that hadn't normally been unstable like AIM, Safari, and Entourage... even Warcraft III died on me once, although I'm not sure if this is related). I have had one kernal panic (this morning) and earlier, when I was trying to shut down my computer, the finder would crash and then restart it self without powering down the machine (i had to manually restart with ctrl+apple+power).

I don't normally experience this kind of instability, but I've seen it a lot since I got the update.

Anyone experiencing stuff like this? :(

Back