OS X 10.3.9 upgrade problem

seph1985

Registered
Ok i havw just recently been thrown in at the deepend and had my baby Windows box removed and replaced with a mac (going well so far but i still miss windows :'( ) and the first thing i did was upgrade the OS from 10.3.3 to 10.3.9, note that before i did this i configured the directory access and could use my windows domain password and username for authentication on the mac, now when i enter my domain username and password the login screen just shakes which i assume means a username/PW issue.

Has anyone else come accross this issue and if so do they know of a fix for it?

Thanks in advance.
 

MisterMe

Registered
These sound like case issues with either your domain name or password. Windows often autoconverts the first letter to uppercase for display but stores it as entered. The Mac displays text as entered. Make sure that you are entering your domain name and password just as you did on the Windows box.
 

seph1985

Registered
I have tried using uppercase and lower case and all it does is shake the login screen, i can access network shares and the internet so i know its not a loose cable and it was working before, all i did was use the updater to update to version 10.3.9 from 10.3.3 and now it seems to be broken :(

I've tried changing the directory settings and that didn't work and also i am unable to unbind my mac from the directory as it says my username and PW were incorrect even though i know i have a domain level admin account on the windows domain, i just find it odd that a software update could break an OS like this (oh wait i'm a windows user, i should be used to updates breaking everything)

If anyone is able to help i would be most grateful :)

*edit* also i should mention that nobodies domain logins work on the mac.

*2nd Edit* i have used the method described on http://www.afp548.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=24&showtopic=8506 to unbind the mac from the domain in hopes of rejoining it and solving the problem except that now it just tells me that my directory forest and domain are invalid except that i used them this morning and they worked fine.
 

seph1985

Registered
Ok i am such a plic it silly, basically what was wrong is that the DNS within our network sucks so badly that we have to use external DNS servers to resolve website names, under windows this is fine as the server is set to do that and the clients just ask the server.

It would seem that the mac can't ask our server for stuff properly and will only work if we have the external DNS server addresses set in the network pref's, now i like the plic i am removed the DNS entry for our local server as i figured it wasn't needed but after logging off i was unable to log back in to the domain because the mac was asking the external DNS to find our server and they of course were telling the mac to take a running jump :)

So now my DNS has both the internal and external server IP's listed.
 
Top