OS X 10.5 Leopard

Filmfisher

Registered
Came across a problem. Taking the developers release of Leopard and updating 10.4 caused several problems, one of which not able to access many applications such as email. The error:
The application Mail quit unexpectedly.
Relaunching does not work. This is on MOST of the applications.
Is there any cure except wiping clean and starting over?
How might I back up email, since I cannot open it?
Any and all recommendations is appreciated.

Came across a problem. Taking the developers release of Leopard and updating 10.4 caused several problems, one of which not able to access many applications such as email. The error:
The application Mail quit unexpectedly.
Relaunching does not work. This is on MOST of the applications.
Is there any cure except wiping clean and starting over?
How might I back up email, since I cannot open it?
Any and all recommendations is appreciated.

Why would you install the developer copy of Leopard over a production 10.4 system? Leopard is still not final, so there are bound to be bugs in it.

About the only thing I can recommend is an Archive and Install of Mac OS X 10.4.x using the discs that came with your Mac. This is the usual procedure with final releases, but I'm not sure how this would work with a developer release since no one other than developers have copies of Leopard DR (to my knowledge anyways). :confused:

I suggest backing up your computer, wiping it clean, installing Tiger again, then wait a few more weeks for Leopard and buy a proper copy.

You mail is stored in ~/Library/Mail. All your application settings should be stored somewhere in ~/Library. I recommend backing up everything, or at least your Home folder, before proceeding. (I know it's too late now, but you should really back up everything BEFORE upgrading your entire system. It makes things like this so much less painful. That goes double when you're dealing with prerelease OSes.)

I agree with Nixgeek, an "archive and install" of Tiger is the way to go. If you're so inclined, after doing that you can manually move items from your Leopard system (most of which are probably from the Tiger system that came before it) back into your new Tiger system. If you don't, might need to reinstall some third-party apps.

Of course, it's possible there's a way to fix your Leopard issues, but having not used any of the Leopard prereleases, I don't have much advice.

Back