Os X.3.9 Mail Server Problem

5280_Ack

Registered
Firstly, I'm by no means an expert in these sort of things. I am a developer, however, so technical issues are not something I shy from, but this problem is beyond my abilities. So any help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time.

I recently upgraded to OS X Server version 10.3.4 from Server version 10.2 and all went well except for my mail service. I can send mail fine, but I can't receive any to my domain. I tested my email by sending one to myself with no luck. So I decided to configure Entourage to send and receive email to my work address and that worked fine too. I then sent an email from my work to my home address and get a 554: relay access denied fatal error. So it seems to me that email sent to my home address can't find my domain.

What could my issue be? Do I need to contact my ISP to see if it's a router issue? I'm doubting it's a problem on their end since I used to get my email just fine before the upgrade. Or is there something with the new version that I'm missing? Like setting up a DNS server? I've never done something like that before.

Also, I have not turned on my firewall, but did notice something called IPFirewall on startup and wonder if that could be a problem.

I hope this is enough information, if not I can do my best to provide more.

That's a classic symptom of getting your SMTP
server's name wrong. It is often not the name
of your mail server. For example, my mail server
is pop.vt.edu, but the SMTP server is smtp.vt.edu.

That info is in Eudora's "getting started" preference.

Check with your mail host to see if the names are
as different as those on mine.

I have had similar problems with MacMail since I upgraded to Tiger, using my own domain as my email server. Weird thing is, sometimes my email comes through and sometimes it doesn't. This mystifies my webhost as well as my local ISP. Also, a friend who just got a Mac Mini with Tiger suffers the same symptoms. I suspect a bug in Tiger, but Apple isn't admitting anything about it. Would love to solve this problem because I don't want to go back to Panther, but I've got to have reliable email.

5280_Ack said:
What could my issue be? Do I need to contact my ISP to see if it's a router issue? I'm doubting it's a problem on their end since I used to get my email just fine before the upgrade. Or is there something with the new version that I'm missing? Like setting up a DNS server? I've never done something like that before.

To get you mailserver running, you need to make serveral settings. One of them is allowing mail to be received from the outside world. Make sure nothing is filled in in the fields (server-admin, mail, settings, filters). This might effective block all incoming mail.

Make sure you enabled mail receiving (uner general)

The error relay denied was fixed by myself by allowing smtp-relays from 127.0.0.1 (LOCALHOST). This was causing me some trouble with mailinglists.

Also make sure you fill in you domainname in under local host aliases (e.g. macosx.com, not www.macosx.com.

The best is first check if you receive mail when you send it locally on the mailserver to the same mailserver.

Good luck, Kees

Back