OS X & Airport sharing Internet with PC?

legacyb4

Registered
Running on a bit of a deadline so just wanted to ask a quick question:

My 8MB DSL connection is due for start of service next week and I wanted to see if I could run the following configuration:

Wall <-> DSL Modem <-> Airport (1st Gen) < through wireless> G4/Airport card < through built-in Ethernet port > PC connected via crossover cable or straight cable with a hub

to share the Internet connection?

I remember vaguely seeing in an earlier release of Brickhouse something about configuring OS X to share a connection but I don't remember clearly...

Thanks in advance.

I have done something similar:

1. Airport Base Station v2.0 connecting to LAN via Ethernet port #1

2. iBook connected to LAN via Airport Card and Base Station

3. P.C. connected to LAN via direct cable to Ethernet port #2 of Base Station.

Works great.

yeah that should work just fine. if you have the airport router, then you do not need brickhouse at all. that is for making your OSX box act as the NAT firewall router. or you can use it just as a local firewall.

Well, the problem is that with the first generation of Airports, there was no LAN ethernet port which meant that the only way to connect to the Airport was through a wireless connection.

Thus my question on how easy would it be to route traffic through my G4 (incoming from Airport via wireless connection on G4 and outgoing to PC through built-in Ethernet port on G4).

In essence, turning my G4 into a reverse software Airport Base Station going from a wireless network to a wired network (bridge).

Cheers.

Originally posted by lethe
yeah that should work just fine. if you have the airport router, then you do not need brickhouse at all. that is for making your OSX box act as the NAT firewall router. or you can use it just as a local firewall.

Back