os X and g3 wallstreet installation problem

kjwlucerne

Registered
I own a powerbook g3 wallstreet. It has a 12 gig harddrive, 233 mhz and 384 mb of ram. My problem is that it won't load os 10.2. Whenever I try to load it the installation doesn't finish. I get a blank blue screen. Sometimes I get weird lines. Other times the screen goes dark. What can I do to load os 10.20?

HI; On a wallstreet you have to partition the hard drive to a 8gb. or less for a osx10.2 install.Boot off of your install disk,go to disk utilities and set up two partitions, 8gb. for the osx install and the rest for classic or storage.Don't expect too much from your wallstreet on 10.2,you would be better off running 9.2.This is from prior experince!

arrowone

Yep, a Wallstreet will only take 8GB or less for an install partition. I believe XpostFacto eliminates this, but that may just be with Tiger and Panther. I would recommend running Panther for the best OS X experience; Jaguar is going to be slowwww.

Qion said:
Yep, a Wallstreet will only take 8GB or less for an install partition. I believe XpostFacto eliminates this,
Nothing eliminates this restriction as it is part of the firmware and can't be changed.

kjwlucerne said:
I own a powerbook g3 wallstreet. It has a 12 gig harddrive, 233 mhz...
As I have been (and am currently) a Wallstreet user, I can tell you from years of actual experience that Wallstreets can run Mac OS X quite nicely, and you would be better off with 10.2 than 10.3 or 10.4 do to their excessive need of resources.

That having been said... I wouldn't install Mac OS X on that system.

The Wallstreet 233 MHz systems either came with 512k of L2 or (in most cases) no L2 cache at all. This makes those systems painfully slow.

The minimum Wallstreet that I would use for Mac OS X is one with a G3 at 266 MHz with 1 MB of L2 cache.

Nothing eliminates this restriction as it is part of the firmware and can't be changed.

As I have been (and am currently) a Wallstreet user, I can tell you from years of actual experience that Wallstreets can run Mac OS X quite nicely, and you would be better off with 10.2 than 10.3 or 10.4 do to their excessive need of resources.

I don't agree with this. I am the former owner of a 233 Wallstreet (L2 cache), and Panther ran much faster than Jaguar. There are numerous claims that back this up, also.

Back