OS X and the internet freezeups. Suicide probable.

liquidstrife

Raver and Programmer
THIS IS MY 3RD TIME TRYING TO POST. LETS HOPE APPLE DOESNT SCREW ME OVER ONCE MORE. SO! I have Mac OS 10.1.2 . I connect with my 56k modem using localnet isp. i never get more than 26400 though. What the hell. How can I connect at something like 44000 or something?? Now the big problem.
Everytime i connect to the net with 56k (the following problem ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I DO THAT. NEVER WITH ETHERNET), within 10 seconds to 2 hours (iTunes makes it worse), my mouse cursor gets real slow and the colored wheel starts spinning. I cant force quit and i lose all my crap by doin a hard reboot. Can anyone help? Apple tech support cant.

Wow, I just [about three hours ago] posted an article with the self same problem.

I think I've narrowed it down; go to System Preferences -> Network, select the Show drop-down menu and select Active Network Ports

Try moving the Internal Modem about the Ethernet and then clicking the checkbox to swith Ethernet off .. assuming you're not using your ethernet.

This seems to ease the suffering a little.

This is a massive problem for me, and I can really do without this kind of nonsense .. this is what I'd expect from OS9.x

Now you guys are making me worried...I've been connecting to AOL when I'm visiting the folks and haven't had any problems at all...i'm interesting in hearing what this problem is all about, hopefully someone has an answer

Izzy man, be affraid .. be very affraid :-]

Seriously, I've got it pretty close to being sussed[sorted]

If I quit out of Classic and try connecting to the internet, I get the funny mouse jitter, spinning pizza, system freeze for five minute thing .. but most importantly, no crash/freeze.

Although it did get a little wobbly earlier today so I did a restart.

The point being; I've got OSX on my box so I don't have to restart anymore.

Note to Apple: get it sorted, now!..

Originally posted by liquidstrife
within 10 seconds to 2 hours (iTunes makes it worse), my mouse cursor gets real slow and the colored wheel starts spinning.

2 hours:eek:
I have the same problem, only happens on second connect and gets worse every time, but never more than 5 minutes for me...what's your uptime?

Apple is no help. The problem persists. I'm on the verge of reinstalling OS X. I need to get the new update but it always freezes. Joy. I could really use some help!!! I can't afford DSL/Cable modem till june.

Back