OS X appearance

lluisb

Registered
Hi folks!

I've installed OS X.1 on my Pismo 400 few weeks ago, and I'm wandering if its possible (I guess no) to disable that soft appearance that shade off the screen.

When I jump to OS 9.2 from X.1 its like my eyesight returns to normality: everithing appears clean and clear on the screen.

Why Apple decided to do this "improvement" after years of developpement and engineering to make better and precise monitors that reveal clearly every detail?

Thanks!

Are you talking about font anti-alising (aka smoothing)?

You can turn that off in the general preferences in system preferences.

Bernie :eek:)

I don't know what your talking about!

Are you complaining because things look better in 10?

That OS9 does seem clearer due to the lack of Anti-aliasing. If Apple could hold back a bit on the shadows (lighter). Particularly a facility to change the system font and turn their shadows off.

I tried Shadowkiller but couldn't get used to having NO shadows. Especially when some apps looked really bad without them!

Just a facility to change their strength would be fantastic!:)

well, I tried shadowkiller once...

if you have windows next to each other, things look rather... strange... or ugly... because of the lack of... hmm... what do you call it... frame? border? on the side of the windows...

Myself also once tried to get rid of all the font antialiasing in OS X. So I went to the preferences panel and set the antialiasing not to be used for fonts under the size of 72 (? can't exactly remember the size at the moment). When I went back to the desktop, everything looked pretty ugly. Not even half as good as un-antialiased fonts looked like under OS 9. So I switched antialiasing back on.

Just for your thoughts, but I personally don't think that OS X is made for people who like sharp looking things... :D

all I want to do is get rid of the shadows on the text on the desktop. for some strange reason, it annoys me.

Originally posted by gerbick
all I want to do is get rid of the shadows on the text on the desktop. for some strange reason, it annoys me.

Even if you could, would you want to? The shadows replace the 0S9 block background to desktop text, and without either, the text would be unreadable in the dock over windows... I definately prefer shadows to blocks...

Originally posted by bighairydog
Even if you could, would you want to? The shadows replace the 0S9 block background to desktop text, and without either, the text would be unreadable in the dock over windows... I definately prefer shadows to blocks...

the option should belong to me. besides, the shadows have nothing to do with the alpha process of the background. I rather not have a shadow. Keep the alpha blending. for that sake, then shadowkiller, which works on the shadows of the windows, and tinkertool which works on the shadow of the dock, there needs to be a "shadowkiller" for the text on the desktop.

maybe it's just me. if that's the case, I still want it. I believe should be an option. among with other options on the Mac OS X platform.

my point was, that this is what unshaddowed text looks like over a white background:

<table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" width="75" bgcolor="white"><tr><td><center><font color="white">text</font></center></td></tr></table>

Doesn't really make for the most readable GUI...

Tinkertool has a setting to disable anti-aliasing and font smoothing.

Download it (make sure you have the Preference Pane one). Then go to System Preferences, go to Tinkertool, and click on the "Font Smoothing" tab. There you can disable all antialiasing and font smoothing if you wish. Personally, though, I like antialiasing. It's much more pleasing to the eye.

Back