os X clients cannot log into AD domain

mjvipond

Registered
Students cannot log in to AD system from Mac clients

Clients were functioning okay.
I discovered some file permission problems.
Some student folders were receiving inherited permissions allowing other students access to other students' folders.
I corrected the permissions.
The student folders are located here: \\SERVER\students\gradyear\student name.

Students have transverse folder permissions to students and grad year. Students have modify permissions to their own folder.

Windows clients work.
Mac clients, where the student has logged in before, appear to be logging in, but then fail, returning to a login screen.
If the student has never logged into that Mac before they are shook off.

It appears that the permissions required for the Macs to write to the student folders are now incorrect. But I cannot find information on how permissions should be set for home folders residing on a Windows server.

Also, I am fairly new at OS X administration (3 months) and have not discovered what log files to view to analyze the problem.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mjv

As a start with one of the students who could previously login try unplugging the network cable and then getting them to try again with an older password if they have recently changed theirs.

I have come across this with 10.5 where the AD password is changed and then the Mac will not accept the new one.

Back