OS X desktop rebuild equivalent

Mikuro

Crotchety UI Nitpicker
In older versions of OS X, you could accomplish something similar to an OS 9-style desktop rebuild by deleting certain database files — LSApplications, LSClaimedTypes, and LSSchemes, and their associated invisible backups — from your home preferences folder. These would then be rebuilt upon the next login. I originally learned of this at http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/08-2002/08-14.ws

I was just having some problems with applications opening as files, so I decided to give this a shot for the first time. But it seems that those files are obsolete in Tiger (and even Panther?). The files I removed from my prefs folder hadn't been modified since 2003, and after logging out, they haven't been recreated.

So....is there any Tiger-compatible equivalent to the Jaguar-compatible equivalent to an OS 9 desktop rebuild? :)

And has anyone else had problems loading applications that have their version number at the end of their name? For example, I was trying to open "FileType 1.0.1", and OS X stupidly considered the ".1" to be a filename extension, so it opened it in ManOpen, which stupidly claimed ownership of all files with numbers as file name extensions (arg!). Finally I just trashed ManOpen, because it caused more problems than it solved, and then my apps started opening in Script Editor — don't ask me why. :confused:

I've managed to get access to FileType by removing the version number from its name, but still, this is bugging me. There are a lot of apps that use that kind of naming style, and it seems ridiculous that OS X should consider them files rather than applications. I never had problems before installing ManOpen, so I assume that if I rebuild/remove the applicable system databases now that I've trashed it, all will return to normal again. But what needs to be rebuilt?

These files have been replaced by "com.apple.LaunchServices.UserCache.##.csstore" in "/Library/Caches/", where ## is a number. There may be several of these (I have three on my system).

You may also want to trash the file "com.apple.LaunchServices.plist" in "~/Library/Preferences" if your problem persists.

Back