OS X doesn't like my new hard drive :(

drumly

Registered
Hi. Me again. D*** it. I just went through the aggravating process of replacing a hard drive on my iBook G4. I put in the system install disk, and went through the installation procedures. When it came time to pick the destination volume, it wasn't there, so I opened up disk utility, which recognized it, and figured I had to partition it as a HSF+ system. SOOO... I did the partition which took all of 3 seconds, then went back to the select destination drive screen. Now it was there, but with a ******fu***** big red exclamation mark on it. When I highlight it, this is what it says:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume."

Any ideas? Here's some info, that I'm not sure whether is pertinent or not, but it looked fishy to me. The installer log shows that after choosing english as the language, the "root: Can't get device for hd:,\\tbxi: 3"

and "root: 1976-04-01 00:06:08:444 Startup Disk[123]Error setting the Startup Disk."

and "root: bootstrap_look_up(): unkown error code" which comes up around six more times.

Before installing this hard drive, I had been messing around with the Open firmware for the original hard drive, hoping I didn't need to replace it. I didn't know much about open firmware, but was going off the guide available off this forum. Much help needed please!!

Back