OS X for Intel rumours...

Serp,

Thanks for the feedback. That's good to hear about your tests. To be clear, you were comparing your G4 800 SP to your PIII 800 right? And what kind of tests? Filter renders, 3D renders, AI screen redraws? Just curious. That makes me very excited for my next Mac.

If I get around to it, I've been wanting to create a centralized benchmarking site that we could all post our numbers (using the honor system) based on some clearly devised tests. We would all use the exact same files (provided on the site), the same software versions, etc.

No, these tests were between a PentiumIII/800 (home grown and built with a nVidia TNT32MB Video card) and a PowerMac G4/400 (Sawtooth with a ATI Radeon32MB Video Card). The Mac did have much more memory, though - 896MB of RAM compared with the 384MB in the P3. But since the test file for Photoshop that I used was only a meg, I don't really feel the extra RAM played a big part of the Mac winning most of the tests. It defiitely doesn't help Flash playback any...

:)

Here's hoping that tomorrow Apple unveils some products that will give us a little respect among our PC lovin' bretheren.

Serp,

My tests were all based on using fairly large file sizes (50 meg minimum up to 200 meg). Almost any computer, even a 604e can plow through a 1 meg file almost instantly, so that's not really an appropriate test. If you get similar speeds with large files, long renders, etc. then I'd be impressed. I haven't gotten those numbers.

Back