OS X gives me no end of troubles...

MaC hAcKeR

Not nut cracker!!!
ok... I'm having these terrible issues with OS X 10.2.
Anyway, when I intalled it, i needed to do a safe boot (holding down shift on startup), if I didn't, OS X wouldent start up.
Now recently, for some odd reason, the finder dosen't launch! HELP!!!!
P.S. I can't reinstall... my internal CD drive is like broken, so I can't boot from the jagual CD. Sucks!
P. S. S. I'm using an iMac Special Edition DV 400 MHz with 256 MB of RAM. Also sucks!
Help! OS X looks like a beast! So powerful... like the hulk or something... and I HATE os 9... it likes to crash...
Please help!!!

Get an external cd/dvd drive, or have your internal drive fixed. And max out your ram, the model you have supports more ram than you currently have (e.g. a 512 mb of memory for your mac will be around 70-80 $ with shipping) - you know that Jaguar loves ram and will run faster with it.

For resolving the finder problem, i'd go for reinstalling the OS. If you can loan an external firewire cd drive, try with that. Good luck with getting os x back to life.

have an external drive. It can't boot from CDs :(
And I've been looking at RAM and CD drives... also new macs... heh...
Thanks, I'll start working now (heh)

Sounds like your mac is really messed up. Do you have some more comps with CD-drives around and a working network? You might be able to mount the cd-drive from another system...

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam
Sounds like your mac is really messed up. Do you have some more comps with CD-drives around and a working network? You might be able to mount the cd-drive from another system...
Nope :(
But I know someone with a network, maybe I can pop the CD into one of the G3s and do a network boot or something?

I have the same computer (albeit with half the RAM, :() and the last (and only) time I tried to upgrade OS X, the Finder quit repeatedly every time I tried to do something. I had to downgrade back to the shipping version of 10.2. If your internal CD drive is broken, get it fixed so you can watch DVD's and use CD's. You can also try using Firewire Disk Mode with another Firewire-equipped computer.

By the way, you misspelled "Title" in your signature.

Damn... I always ddo ddoubble leeteerrs.. lol
Anywho, I found a superdrive update. Arden, if your interested, here it is
Doing tons of searches, and it's gonna cost me a ton... :(
Also found a G4 500 MHz processor upgrade here. That will help OS X a lot right?
Also lookin for hard drives, found a 30 gig one, sweet!
And found some RAM, Yikes... Very expensive...
And arden, the finder dosen't launch at all in my osx... OS X dosen't like me :(

Originally posted by dktrickey
MaC hAcKeR,

Did you upgrade your firmware before installing OS X?

Doug
Yes... was I not supposed to?
And I tried everything on apple support... there no help...

Is the RAM in your system supplied by Apple or did you buy it elsewhere? Mac OS X is very stingy about the quality of the RAM.

Superdrive? I don't have a Superdrive. I have a combo DVD/CD-ROM, internally at least. I also have a 52x24x52 Firewire burner. No DVD-burning in my house.

You should have updated the firmware when you installed OS X to make sure it is fully compatible. Try taking the extra RAM chip out of your computer, if you can tell which it is, and boot into OS X. Reinstall X as soon as you can get ahold of another CD reader.

man... you rock :D
Now to drag that thing there...
Ugh... so friekin heavy...
THis should save some money :)
Thanks again man. You kick so many different typoes of ass :D:p

Back