OS X GPS software

eric2006

iMovie Professional
I'm looking for a gps/navigator software that works on a mac. RouteBuddy looks nice, but $170 can be better spent elsewhere.. I'm looking for something under or near $80. I've found an open-source navigator called roadnav, but I need something that will work outside the US (i.e. Canada), and the interface is clunky.

Google Earth seems promising.. but can the 2 GB offline cache store enough information for a 12-hour roadtrip?

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Google Earth seems promising.. but can the 2 GB offline cache store enough information for a 12-hour roadtrip?

You have to remember that your Garmin GPS receiver has slightly less data capacity than your average server rack and a 12-hour trip will get your across Texas, almost. At 2 GB, you will have ample storage. The other thing that you should know is that you must upgrade to Google Earth Plus in order to use it with your GPS receiver.

I was experimenting with google earth offline, and I'm surprised at how much it has captured - no issues even when I go to areas I haven't zoomed in on. The only thing that could be a problem is that it wants to connect to the mothership when I program in a new route - which could be a problem if I need to take a detour, or change the route.. is there a way to do this offline? Even so, I'm impressed at how well it is tracking.

I have route66 and it seems to work ok, but I am sure it is not the best program out there. I think I only paid like $40 for it. It seems to be a bit sluggish, but it is most likely the G3/500 ibook i am running it on. I had a Garmin III plus hooked up through a keyspan usb to serial adapter.

Back