OS X hangs up on install

wildchild

Registered
I am trying to install OS X on my 500Mhz G4 and it hangs up about half way through the install then quits ?

Any idea what this could be ? There is no OS on the drive at all right now It is a brand new Maxtor 40gb hard drive I just bought and the second is 27gb that came in the Mac. Does the same thing on both hard drive. The errror message say you installer has unexpectently quit please restart your machine ?

Help !

Thanks

DSC00171.jpg

Choose Disk Utility in the Installer menu and repair the disk. If that doesn't work, invest in Disk Warrior. Obviously, there are no permissions to install...

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware updates from www.info.apple.com.

Originally posted by arden
Choose Disk Utility in the Installer menu and repair the disk. If that doesn't work, invest in Disk Warrior. Obviously, there are no permissions to install...

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware updates from www.info.apple.com.

Hey Arden thanks for the reply I tried the disk repair and no luck
:( What will disk warrior do ?

Thanks

Dan

Disk Warrior, although very good, won't help much if the system won't even install, and not likely a bad hard drive when 2 fail.
System installs seem to fail for a couple of main reasons. Sometimes the install CD is damaged (try cleaning the CD with a CD cleaning kit (any large electronics/office store would have something good.) You would want to check both the CD itself (for damage, scratches, whatever on the surface) and run a cleaning CD through the drive. Your system is a couple of years old, at least, an accumulates dust, or even cig tars over time. But, more likely problems with extra hardware in system: disconnect any external device, printer, scanner, other usb or firewire devices, then try the install again. if no go, remove any extra memory you have installed (Important, memory does occasionaly fail, and OS X is known to be sensitve to some problems in otherwise good memory). If you have never modified the memory, try resetting P-RAM (Hold CTL-CMD-P-R when powering system, you should hear the System BONG, keep holding, allow the bong a couple more times) now try the install, again. Hopefully, the install will have completed during this process.

Thanks I will give it a try, silly but I cant find the cmd key :( sorry guys I am a bit new to the Mac. I have a Mac keyboard but I am using a Logitech should I pull the Mac keyboard out ?

I used a laser lens cleaner and that worked for me... not a good idea to set a computer on carpet, even if the G4 sits a little off the floor, it was dust heaven in my case.

Huh. Hardwood, tile or linoleum would probably be better than carpet, which is full of crap.

Good luck!

BTW: The command key is the little squiggly flower on either side of the spacebar; the squiggly at the top is the tilde, though you probably know this already.

Back