OS X HFS+ Startup Volume Out of Space

chenly

Moof!
I filled my startup volume, copied my ~/Documents folder to another partition, and now my machine won't restart/shutdown. Any ideas?

I copied ~/Documents to another partition using the Finder and now there are 5.69 GB free on the startup disk. I don't care about file permissions in that folder. Is there a known issue with 10.1.5 and 333 mHz iMacs with aftermarket hard drives?

Originally posted by testuser
Is this an internal or external drive? Is it jumpered correctly (internal), is the firmware up to date (firewire external)?

Internal 60GB ATA.

Originally posted by testuser
Does your Mac still refuse to start up?

It starts up fine. It won't shutdown/restart.

Check in your console if you can find the error. This application is on /Applications/Utilities/Console. If system log window not open, open it by File --> Open history, and select system.log and open it. When you do select or restart, check if a error is writted. If you don't understand the errors message, just send the new messages to this thread, somebody can understand it!

Please find the enormous system.log attached below. The asterisks are to mask the IP address. Note: this file was compressed with GZipper; it should carry the extension ".tgz" but I had to change it to ".zip" for this site.

Attachments

• system.log.pdf.zip
    65.8 KB · Views: 3
I have no firewall software on my Mac other than the standard BSD UNIX firewall.

No, I can't ever get it to either shut down or restart; the screen just goes pale blue; the mouse is still there and the Command+Option+Escape key combination still brings up the force quit dialog box, but it shows not programs running.

Now the Mozilla preferences have been screwed up. I know this is from shutting the power off before the system has completely shut down. Anyone?

Back